Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

314D Thumn

Jake Erickson ยท 2023-11-19 23:58

I recently purchased a 314D. Has a quick coupler, I want to tear out trees with it. Looking to add a thumb. Local cat dealer says $20,000. All of the hydraulics are there I just need the thumb and cylinder and they still want $20,000+. Anyone got a lead on one or even dimensions of one. Thanks, Jake

Replies6
  1. #1Jake Erickson2023-11-19 23:59

    I could make my own if I had some dimensions or pictures

  2. #2joe--h2023-11-20 00:23

    A search returns lots of them, machinerytrader has some. You have 5 months of snow coming so order some steel & get to work. Joe H

  3. #3KSSS2023-11-20 01:28

    He is from North Dakota...7 months of snow. Personally, I like the design of the PSM thumb if your going to fab your own. If your feeling sporty, I would make it a prolink thumb. Your going to need to match the length with the bucket you plan on using and make sure you get the spacing of the thumb teeth to fall between the bucket teeth. Its not quite as easy as it looks, there is a lot to consider. You would be best to find a 314 that has a thumb you like and copy it, exactly. You may have to shim to get the teeth intersection correctly, unless your bucket also matches the machine your copying. I bought a prolink thumb for my 160 and it was 10K installed. I would make some phone calls and get some prices. You might find a thumb that doesn't say CAT at a price that doesn't justify fabing one yourself.

  4. #4joe--h2023-11-20 01:59

    farmerlund is up there stumbling around in the dark and snow somewhere near you, he might steer you in the right direction. HeavyEquipmentForums Joe H

  5. #5Jake Erickson2023-11-20 18:12

    Hey, Thanks for the good input. I will do that.

  6. #6joe--h2023-11-20 20:31

    Farmerlund was working on a thumb, modifying what he had not from scratch. HeavyEquipmentForums