I just recently bought an elderly '84 Ford LN8000 with 5-2 with a Telelect boom. It has always cranked right up and started fine. Today it did not. It is fairly cold, maybe 25F degrees at night, 40F days. New battery, cranks fine. I thought it is just cold blooded, and gave it a shot of ether, it fired, but never ran. So. Fuel. Primer pump seemed very slack, as if not pumping up pressure. Fuel injection. I took apart the fuel line coming out of the tanks. No ice, rust, nasty stuff came out. Bled the bottom tap on the engine mounted filter. Primer pump did work. Opened bleeder screw on injection pump, and pumped air/fuel out of the top of the pump. Still no start. Cracked the nuts on two fuel injectors. When the primer was pumped both lines bled clear fuel, no air. Still no start. Well. I bought a new fuel filter, but haven't tried it yet. The engine also has a Dahl 100 filter. Is this a retrofit? Is it a good idea? Does it use a 101 element? Is there something I've missed with the fuel system? Is the engine shutoff a problem on these? And so maybe it hasn't turned itself to "run" from "start" when the key was turned on? Any other thoughts? Final question. The coldstart on this is a bracket for an ether bottle with a lever actuator that shoots ether directly into the intake manifold. Is this a good idea. Second final question. Any ideas on where to get a maintenance/operation manual on this machine? Third final question. This machine will not get out of its own way. I've been told to adjust out the fueling controller screw on the pump. Is this a good idea? Thanks SEO
I have had some experience with this setup. The 3208 are pretty good starting in the cold, a good running one Will start down to about 5 above without ether. It Sounds like you have an air leak on suction side, this could anywhere from the Inj. pump to the tank. A few Hints I am assuming the filter squarish clear plastic mounted on aluminum block. once in a great while the O-Rings go bad. Also There is a braided fuel line from filter to pump - it will suck air but not leak fuel- if you see the filter half empty after sitting overnight look there You will have to bled more than two injectors to get it running A lot of these that are still running have had electric fuel pumps put on at the tank . Turn electric pump on wait a minute before starting and it will purge the air out of the system Finally an air leak will hurt your power - either find the leak or put a pump on before try to super tune it
Actually the filter is a spin-on with a drain tap on the bottom. Not a plastic one like John Deere tractors. Assuming that it's airlocking, do the individual injectors need to have air bled out of the lines like an old Cat, or is it like a Detroit or later Cat, and will purge itself? SEO
There is a plastic check valve in the fuel system, right at the pump I believe. They are famous for going bad or getting debris under them. If they stay open, fuel pressure is very poor and most of it runs right back to tank. Simple repair but one most often overlooked. The other ideas posted are good too. About the only good use for a 3208 I ever found was as a boat anchor, tho I did see one used to keep a huge Mastiff in his yard, along with some 5/16ths chain and a humongous leather and braided steel collar.
SurferJoe, Thanks for the response. I'll check the check valve, and hope for good results.