I felt rather than cluttering someone else's thread, I would just start another. Back when I was looking for another Ex, I was focused on machines with electric over hydro or proportion valves. CAT seemed to be behind and only recently went that direction. Though I could hardly ignore the reliability of direct pilot pressure over the mains. The main reason was refined and precise control. The 322C I have is direct pilot and I have two minor complaints that most would probably just ignore, but I end up using it for more technical work like moving pipes, picking up structures, etc. I found that my machine has "fine swing" and it certainly helps, but I also learned that a side effect is a loss of brake on the swing. It will drift and rotate! It can be quite annoying. The two issues that annoy me is the boom seems to want to drop too quickly on the first touch of the stick. When you push lever forward you will first feel the load lock disengage, no biggy. But then that first movement is a bit much. Consider going out to near full reach, set the teeth on the ground, and try to drag along the ground without gouging it. Once the boom moves, it is predictable, but the first move causes a gouge every time so I have to start several inches above and get boom moving first. I realize it is a bigger machine and I might be chasing something that is not even an issue. The other is similar with the swing. I can certainly swing in a refined manner but that stick is a bit sensitive on the first takeoff. Again, I am not saying I feel the machine has a glaring issue, but asking if there are any adjustments that can be made to improve an refine motion to my liking? I was hoping for pilot spring adjusters or something? I know the right stick pilot box was rebuilt due to leaks so might have something slightly off there. The stick and bucket are dead on so I sort of feel like what I am asking is obtainable. ??
Good day fastline Had some dealings with pilot controls most are of K.P.M. origin both left and right controls valves are as a rule the same, adjusting the points that the pressures reach the value to open the main spool is to a large degree fixed. I have known one development crew to drive actual nails into the port's to change the effect, not that I would suggest you try. Regarding boom lower, I recommend your focus should be to slow the main spool lower opening may be the best route to achieve better control, much the same method for the arm (Stick). Many machines use two valves for the arm in playing with the point the second valve jumps in may well give improvement, a close look at the hydraulic schematic for your particular machine to make real positive suggestions. My experience has been a hell of a lot of time and work for moderate results, some of that information has been published on our website. During the late 70’s an aircraft engineer introduced electronic controls to a series of excavators, this took the form of separate cards for each function, these could be trimmed to suit, it was decided that reluctance in the industry to accept electro-hydraulics and the project was dropped, I'm sure the time is near when this will be a feature of all excavators much to the disgust of many old timers. Today there are electro - hydraulic controls on the market I have known these to be used for remote control in the steel ladle wrecking process, I guess that costs and support could present a barrier to an owner operator, it is refreshing to find perfectionist looking to improve control. Happy to supply more information on the subject. Kind regards Uffex
I will be on the machine tomorrow and may try to pinpoint what I feel is the biggest issue. I cannot be certain but it seems like a slight or tight threshold between when the load locks let go and when motion happens so if I don't move careful enough, I think the load locks let go at the same time as the spool moves so you get a little 'jerk' movement. I have still been able to do some precision lifts with it, but making it better would be ideal. Off the cuff, it could be that the load locks need to let go just a touch sooner? I know there are locks on the stick and boom. Not so on the bucket and I have good control of it.
Being a C model, have you tried different work modes. Isn't there a heavy lift mode along with normal and fine swing? When lifting, is there a slight drop in the boom before rising?
As far as I am aware, everything in the C is mechanical and have no idea per the manual what the "tool modes" are in the monitor. As for the fine swing, yes it has it as a rocker switch on the side. It does smooth swing out but I also lose the swing brake, which is a problem in some work because I forget and it doesn't take much angle to cause it to drift. I have to hold constant pressure on the swing to hold position at times. I will look at the book again to see if I can learn more about these work modes but I don't think I could even select anything. I think it was intended for tools like breakers and stuff but no further explanation other than "contact your dealer".
I had to go pull a C book. Nope, different work modes aren't on that.
Good day May be of interest electronic control when you give the operator a fine cabin and then send him outside to work. Kind regards Uffex
I notice a lot of delivery trucks with Prentice loaders have them now. Buddy of mine ran one. Was putting drywall in a hard to reach upstairs window. Guy on the roof yelled out, and when he looked back, the truck had a bad lean with one out rigger off the ground a bit. I would rather have the feel of the seat under my ass.