Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

322L Caterpillar sprocket bolts

BradyHill1 ยท 2011-02-22 20:00

We recently purchased a 322LN and one problem we had with it was that the threads were stripped out of where the sprocket bolted to the final drive and welded in, this worked good just long enough to sell it to me...... we drilled them out and put big truck studs in and it works good so far. This is a cheap alternative to tearing the final down and putting a new hub on it. just wondering if anyone else has had this problem because it looks like a poor engineering design to me

Replies5
  1. #1BradyHill12011-02-22 20:37

    I don't have any pictures from this but here is a video i took of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeRxadENFD0

  2. #2smittysrepair2011-02-22 21:03

    I have seen that happen just a few times. The ones I have seen where usually due to improper instillation of the sprockets and bolts. Most guys just throw them on and hammer on the bolts with an impact wrench until they stop turning. When they do that they either don't get them tight enough or they over tighten them and stretch the threads. Either way they eventually wind up in your predicament. I have never tried your method of repairing that so if it works please send us some photos. I have always used E-Z LOK inserts ( http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsMetal/index.html ) to repair stuff like that and I have never had anyone complain about them. They are a lot easier to use then most inserts and hold as good as if not better then the original threads. One of the main things to look at when you do have a failure in this area is the contact surface between the sprocket and hub. They need to be flat and smooth. Another thing is what to put on the bolts before you install them. Your best bet is to check with your service manual or the dealer because everyone is different on what they recommend. Some want anti seize or oil and others say locktite, some even say the bolts have to be replaced after every use. Once you make sure everything is in good shape and ready to install follow the manufacturers instructions on what torque to use and/or how many degrees to turn the bolts if they are torque turn bolts. If you follow all of this then you most likely will never have a problem like you just experienced. Keep us posted on your repair and let us know how it turns out.

  3. #3Per Eriksson2011-02-23 16:17

    Improper tourqe or not removing the paint on the new sprocket before installing it causes that.

  4. #4smittysrepair2011-02-23 23:40

    You are definitely right there. That goes for almost anything you put together like that. I can not count how many times I have checked behind guys a few days later and found segments,track pads,master links, and other parts loose. And when you question them about it they always say I don't understand what happened, I even used a torque wrench on it this time why did it come loose. Then you have to explain why no matter how much of a pain it is always remove the paint on stuff like that. Of course I would like to know who came up with the bright idea to always use the paint that is about impossible to get off on stuff like that. What happened to just coating parts with heavy oil or spray grease? At least you could clean it off with a little brake clean or starting fluid. lol

  5. #5BradyHill12011-02-24 22:55

    i ended up going over the entire u/c and found loose bolts on about half the bottom rollers, this machine had a sorry mechanic before i got it, the center swivel wasn't even bolted in