Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

324EL hammer line to 2 way

bcallen238 · 2020-05-26 16:40

I've got a 2012 Cat 324EL with a hammer line that I'm wanting to convert to two way hydraulics to run a thumb. It has the "b" port capped off that would power whats now the return line on the stick and boom. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and was curious as to what parts I would need and some instructions. I have a straight travel peddle in the cab that I was going to convert use for the thumb. There is a thread on this from 2009 that I've read but I was trying to find a more specific parts list and instructions. Thanks in advance

Replies12
  1. #1heymccall2020-05-26 17:29

    Gonna need full serial number, for sure.

  2. #2bcallen2382020-05-26 18:58

    CAT0324ECPNW00431

  3. #3John C.2020-05-27 10:19

    Someone is going to have to look up the original configuration on that machine from the factory. The valves and blocks you are showing were usually consistent with tool control. But it was my understanding that was an option that had to be ordered. I don't recall seeing any machine in this area that only got the one way flow set up.

  4. #4heymccall2020-05-27 11:01

    I ran a generic 324e earlier. That's definitely one way plumbing. Pretty sure cat offers the pieces to go 2way, in a kit, but, I haven't found it yet.

  5. #5Nige2020-05-27 11:45

    Here's the As Built consist

  6. #6John C.2020-05-27 12:02

    The as built lists are starting to suck. It's got the auxiliary stuff on the list but doesn't explain what those items are. It appears you have to look up each part number in the arrangement in order to figure out just what the machine has. It definitely doesn't show a three way valve nor say anything about combo hydraulics. The dealer here only orders the rental fleet machines in with the combo hydraulics options. If you call the dealer parts department with your arrangement number and tell them you want the stuff for a combo hydraulics package, they should be able to look that up. What also kind of disturbs me is that I've heard that the auxiliary valve is now an options that you have to pay extra for. I don't know of any other manufacturer that does that.

  7. #7heymccall2020-05-27 12:11
  8. #8bcallen2382020-05-27 20:29

    Thanks guys for the help, I really appreciate it. I think I’m on the right track now. I just have to swap hoses on my travel peddle to convert it to run the thumb.

  9. #9heymccall2020-05-27 20:53

    It ain't gonna ne that easy. First, both directions need a relief cartridge. The new supply connection will need a pilot signal. The current crossover line needs removed, and the cab side block may have the relief for that direction. And so forth. I'd bet my lunch money that there is a conversion kit, which means there will be directions, and if the kit proves pricey, you can at least cherry pick the parts. I don't have a horse in this race, so, I'm hesitant to ask my dealer to research your machine. Have you consulted with your Caterpillar dealer? Aftermarket auxiliary hydraulics kit makers may also have conversion info. Have you consulted companies such as HKX?

  10. #10Nige2020-05-27 22:28

    I think this is the correct schematic for what you want to do.?

  11. #11bcallen2382020-05-29 14:07

    The local cat dealer says there is no kit from cat and that they buy aftermarket kits. I did call HKX and they wanted to sell me a joystick kit to make it work and that was about all i got.

  12. #12John C.2020-05-29 20:02

    I would think there is a kit at the factory or at the dealer when the system if first installed. They might have a name like combo hydraulics, compactor hydraulics or thumb hydraulics. My first thought when I started reading this thread was that parts would have to be sourced individually or you would have to buy a complete three way hydraulic kit and just throw away what you have.