Hello. I wanted to know exactly what are the main technical differences between 325BL and 325LN Caterpillar excavators. For me, visually they almost look the same. But there most be other important differences that I am eager to know and would apreciate some help from this Heavy Equipment Community. Same question applies to excavator models: 320L, 322LN, 325L, etc, which I have seen before and since then I am curious to know why they have that nomenclature.
"L" machines have longer undercarriage. As noted on page 2 below, a 325 has 45 links per side, whereas a 325L has 49 links per side. And the "L" will typically have the 790mm grouser optioned in.
An LN is a gray market machine not meant for North America. The ones I inspected had one less roller than a standard B model machine.
I assumed the L version is then just designed for lower ground pressure (ie-wet or soft area)? No other reason to have an L version? I got a 325BL so more curious than anything else...