So, bought a 325g high flow (32gpm) thinking of maybe running some high flow attachments at some point may be a possibility. Well here we are, got a mulcher needing it but looking at the machine couplers and see they are 1/2". Look up max flow of 1/2 couplers and they are only around 24. Should i be mad at this or is there a reason they wouldn't spec these machine side couplers at 5/8 from the factory?
I wouldn’t be too happy. If it was truly high flow, it should have 5/8” couplers.
The more I think about it the more I think its just a "gotcha" in advertising. Like the full pump output is 32gpm but you're only going to see xx at the implement because drive motors and fan are using some.. going to talk to salesman tomorrow.
Meh, the GPM for auxiliary hydraulics, should be just that.
1/2 couplers can do 15 gpm with no pressure drop, 30 gpm with 6 psi pressure drop, and 40 gpm with 11 psi drop.
That pressure drop that HVY1TON post is interesting, because starting at 32 GPM with half inch couplers is 21 GPM. That is not high flow, that is really not great regular flow results.
The way hydraulic specs are advertised is pretty much fraud, XXXX pressure @ XXXX flow usually requires more than 100hp than the machine has. But it can achieve 1 or the other, not both. Now about couplers on mulchers. Mulchers create a lot of pressure spikes which even the best couplers won't tolerate plus they reduce a lot of flow. Best is to not have them and directly fit the hose to the machine IMHO. Was taught this in the School of Hard Knocks.
Gotcha, figured there would be a caveat to the information. Given that the salesman didnt really agree with it either, but he's just a salesman.. I did some digging and I think I found the 333g cartridges will work and are 3/4". Im not using this professionally but Id like to get the most out of the machine I can and running restrictions in hydraulics just builds excessive heat. Funny to say I ran across the part #s as people with 333g's seemed to have the same 1/2 couplers. Not sure how deere expected that to work.
I’ve never seen a CTL that was high flow and didn’t have two sets of couplers high flow and low flow. I could be wrong though, but everyone I’ve ever seen was built like that sound like you only have one set of couplersmay not be a high flow machine.
I was also wondering if its even high flow. I have 1/2 on the low flow and 5/8 on the high flow, the DL 550 has 3/4 only.
Yeah it’s hard to say. I’m thinking he doesn’t have HF but hope he does or they’ll make it right for him sounds like it was represented that way. Hope it all works out. Tenfo. Dang that 550 must have some hyd hoss power !!
It is a high flow machine, definitely switchable in the cab and have used it on other attachments with noticeable speed in them when enabled. I dont know of any Deere with doubled couplers for high flow, still doesn't explain the small coupler sizing, even for larger machines. I think the fix is to run the 3/4 cartridges when Ill be using the mulcher.
I gotcha. Never seen one like that. I haven’t been around many Deere track machine. I did own a 322 Deere and it was low flow only. Never been in or paid attention to the newer larger units
Where are you guys seeing this info / graphs? Just trying to understand it fully. Is the 6psi loss really a huge deal or should I still think about switching to these large couplers? I doubt the machine will be pushing 32 gpm all the time obviously as track motors and fan eat some of that.
The best solution may be taking to the dealer and they can test what your machine is putting out in GPM and PSI. If you put a mulcher on it that info is important in setting up the mulcher for your machine. One thing about putting 3/4 couplers on your Deere, you will need adaptors to attach anything that is half inch. I had those made up for my DL550, unless you change all your attachments over to 3/4. Its kind of a pain. Thats why having half and 5/8 is really nice. High flow coupler when you need it, but you still have half inch for everything else. This is my personal thoughts, if your serious about high flow production, you really have the wrong machine. I would make do with whatever flow your machine makes. I would have it tested so that you know what those numbers are, but unless they are really anemic, I would deal with it. When you trade or sell that machine, I would choose different for more high flow performance.
Gotcha, thanks for the input. This is only going to be personal, not production. Just wanted to get the most out of the machine as it is. My thought was buy the coupler cartridge that screws into the machine to bump it up to 3/4 just for the mulcher use, maybe a few times a year. Looks simple enough to change them, rather than all attachments.
I looked up the data sheet. I may have been looking at the wrong one though. This is the correct graph for the 3 port block used on the 325G. Faster recommends switching to -12 couplers for 30-40 GPM.