I have a 329D John Deere serial 1T0329DKPA0191134 I went to check the fluid in the planetary drives and the right side is empty. I filled it up and it's running out the back side. I assume it's a seal but I'm just starting to research it. When I bought the machine I posted I had a vibration in the right side at 3/4 throttle (the side leaking). Could they be related? I've never checked the planetary drive fluid before (I know that was dumb). Are there seals that can be replaced or do I need to get a replacement unit? Any insight on what I'm getting myself into is appreciated. I have a service manual and I'm sure I can get it tore apart just looking for some pro tips to save me some heart burn. Thank you,
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but usually when the duo cone seal fails. It is due to a bearing failure. Those seals rarely fail unless a bearing fails or something has wrapped up around the seal. If it is caught in time then you can probably just replace the bearings and seals. If you find a lot of damage. Then it will probably be cheaper to replace the whole unit.
If I remember correctly those planetaries are non serviceable. Requires complete travel motor and final drive replacement.
Many duo cone seal leaks happen in winter when packed dirt is around the duo cone seal area, and when it freezes and expands it pushes those seals apart and they leak. When they thaw, sometimes the seal integrity comes back, but there is no oil left. And if they are moved while frozen, seal failure happens. Like BW55 said, it is most likely something else causing that seal to fail. Unfortunately Deere does not sell the duo cone seal for that model (no it is not in their seal kit). So you would either have to go to the motor manufacturer or buy a complete unit.
I have a urgent must do project that will last a few hours. How bad an idea is it to fill the planetary drive up with corn head grease?
It appears it's serial number specific in the 329D's. Anything below 192141 cannot be serviced. I missed it by 1007 =(
Mine does the same thing on both sides. What did you end up doing? I just end up putting gear leak stop in them every few months so there is some sort of lube in there.
I'm putting corn head grease in the one that leaks and just watching it to make sure. My plan is to tear that side open soon and see if I can find some service parts for it.