Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

329e Engine repair / replacement options?

jip911 · 2024-12-24 22:27

Long story short... I have an opportunity to get a 329e with about 3k hours on it for basically nothing... the engine had the boot off the turbo and took out the turbo. The previous owner replaced the turbo, and all the emissions gear because it was plugged with oil after the turbo let go only to find out it has low oil pressure and compression... I was quoted almost 40k from the dealer to replace the engine with one from deere. I know these engines are not sleeved but is there not any other options but a full crate engine complete with new turbo and emissions equipment? It has the yanmar 4tnv94cht. Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1mg23612024-12-26 06:22

    Welcome to HEF jip911 ! Please provide a complete machine serial number when posting questions. Do you know what the compression and oil pressure readings were? If the aftertreatment system was replaced, why not get a short block. A short block is $9900 US. Downside to that is the reuse of many bolt on items (though I would recommend injectors $$ with the hours you have). Or, if you know someone who is good with engine's, rebuild it, providing the cylinder walls are still in spec and the low oil pressure did not take out a crank or rod. Wouldn't know until disassembled. You can't get oversized pistons.

  2. #2jip9112024-12-26 13:44

    Appreciate the response! The serial number is 1T90329EKVEE264435 The Tech who completed the initial repairs listed the following: ENGINE OIL PRESSURE AT 0-5 PSI AT IDLE AND 25-30 PSI AT 2700 CYLINDER #1 SHOWING 350 PSI CYLINDER #2 SHOWING 390 PSI CYLINDER #3 SHOWING 400 PSI CYLINDER #4 SHOWING 460 PSI UNFORTUNATELY ENGINE REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED - POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR LOW OIL PRESSURE ARE : OIL PRESSURE REGUALTOR FAULTY / PLUGGED OIL PUMP SCREEN / CRACKED PICKUP TUBE / WORN OIL PUMP / FAULTY OR MISSING PISTION COOLING ORFICE / EXCESSIVE MAIN BEARING OR CONNECTING ROD CLEARANCE. I have calls into a couple local shops to see what if anything they can do, I have no doubt I possess the skills to remove the engine myself, but I would hate to get that deep into this only to find out a full factory crate at 40k is my only repair option. I will not put that kind of money into this machine. This would live out its days on the farm clearing some snow and moving the odd bale... Just dont want to end up with a 10k lb boat anchor at the end of the day. Having zero experience finding someone to work on this I naturally reached out to the dealer and they are only interested in a drop in crate motor. I only see 1 company with 4hrs that advertises yanmar repairs and have reached out, maybe I will try a couple diesel engine rebuilders. Again, appreciate your response and thank you for any guidance.

  3. #3mg23612024-12-27 06:07

    Definitely low on cylinder's 1-3. #4 is the normal compression reading. Has this engine ever been dusted? The list of what could cause the low oil pressure would be correct. A deep dive would be needed to determine the cause. Hopefully you can find someone who can help. I wish you luck.