Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289D won’t start after hooking up battery backwards

Chrisgress · 2024-12-25 17:04

I have a 2015 Cat 289D skid steer. I hooked up the polarity on the battery backwards for a couple seconds. It started to smoke when I flipped the battery disconnect switch on. After I got the battery hooked up correctly and I go to start it I can turn the key and the screen comes on and says Can data link lost and it won’t attempt to start also the fuel pump doesn’t come like normal. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and replaced all the relays in the fuse box next to the seat. I replaced the 2 relays above the battery and the 3 on right side of the rear of the engine compartment. I checked the fuses on the bus bar Above the battery. I even sent my ecm in for repair and it tested good. I’m not sure what else to check or do? I’m not sure if there is a relay or fuse somewhere I’m missing?

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2024-12-25 18:13

    Post a Serial Number please. Can't find much tech info based on the info you gave. Post photos of every message that comes up on the screen at the key on self-test if there is more than one. Do you know how to get into the Diagnostic Code/Event menu.? Do you have a muultimeter capable of measuring duty cycle if it comes to that point.?

  2. #2Chrisgress2024-12-26 18:24

    Thanks for the response. The SN#CAT0289DJTAW00466 Other than on the main screen where it’s showing “can data link lost” it’s showing no active or stored events in the diagnostic menu. I do have an multimeter I use to measure duty cycles.

  3. #3Nige2024-12-27 07:36

    I cannot recall seeing the message in your photo before. Strange that there is no Event ID associated with it. Your particular circumstances may require the use of an oscilloscope to diagnose the problem but that is something for later down the road. I will send you and electrical schematic. Keep an eye on your message inbox. Which ECM did you send for testing.? The reason I ask is that the machine has two ECMs, three if you count the Advanced Display in the cab.

  4. #4Nige2024-12-28 23:08

    So update on this one. I sent the OP an electrical schematic and below is his response.......... "So I checked the fuses in rear cab wiring diagram and I did find that the fuse to the machine ECM was blown. It did fix the problem once I replaced it." These are the fuses that are an integral part of the main power relays mounted on the front of the rear firewall - only accessible by lifting the cab. Specifically the highlighted 30A fuse Ref #47 that directly supplies Batt+ to the Machine ECM.

  5. #5Coaldust2024-12-29 01:14

    It’s always interesting how different machines react to backwards batteries. It was a common occurrence when I was teaching.