Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3306 Cat engine

Willis Bushogin ยท 2010-02-03 15:27

I just bought a truck with a 3306 engine and it has low getup power with a load. Engine starts and runs great on these cold days, it does white smoke when its cold, but it clears up when warm. I might be looking for a fuel injection pump for a 3306, they are telling me, mine might be worn excessively causing low power. I was hoping to find someone with a bad engine and get the pump off of it.They are checking other things as we speak. I only have 5-10 lbs of boost pressure aneriold disc has been changed, but it was OK air cooler system pressure checked OK Turbo appears to be OK new filters, 45-50 psi fuel pressure Ive got the mechanics scratching their butts so far I usually have a lot to offer on these problems, but its got me stumped also The engine doesnt smoke at all when warmed up and without a load it runs OK for a 3306. I have another truck with the same setup and it will run circles around this one when loaded. One other thing and it may not be nothing, it just seems like it takes longer for the engine to decelerate, when changing gears and the engine was painted when I got it and the exhaust manifold is a pink color, not the normal rust color. Im wondering if the engine exhaust is getting too hot, or not hot enough? It wasnt painted pink, its just the color now

Replies29
  1. #1dist32010-02-03 17:10

    Willis, wasn't there a post on here a while back about sometype of exhaust blockage. Something like a baffle was blocking muffler and causing low power. Normal checks of turbo and fuel systems were ok but under load truck was lakiing performance.

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2010-02-03 17:32

    3306 Someone else told me about a muffler problem they had. I told one of the shops about this and I think he said the truck would black smoke, with a blocked muffler. I do intend to take the exhaust away from the engine and try it, if they dont find something tomorrow. Thanks and keep them coming

  3. #32stickbill2010-02-03 20:19

    I don't have any shop time on the 3306 but Cat pumps last a long time.First thing I would check after trying a straight pipe is make sure return fuel line is open.Then check Injectors.I know somebody pulled the head off a Cat engine with the Injectors still in and messed the tips up.If this engine has the waste gated turbo make sure that working.Seen one stick causing low powere and boost.Not sure if your's has one though.

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2010-02-03 20:44

    3306 How do you check the wastegate, it does have one?

  5. #5Basler Trucking2010-02-03 23:26

    sounds like that turbos wore out... shoud be makin 35-40 psi boost.... also check all you boost tubes and the rubber house and ALL the clamps... they might look ok sitting there ideling.. but when its under boost they will be leaking... also that pink manifold is ok.. just my .02 cents.... and thats about all its worth

  6. #6Cmark2010-02-04 04:36

    Hi What's the "aneriold disc"? The air/fuel ratio diaphraghm maybe? I'm guessing it is a DI engine with a scroll fuel pump? If so and if all the basic stuff checks out, which it sounds like it does, at high hours these can wear out the camshaft in the FIP and give the sympoms you've got. A symptom of FIP camshaft wear is an engine that stalls at idle. Take a look at the low-idle adjustment screw. If it looks like it's been tampered with then a previous owner may have been trying to disguise the problem by screwing it in. Worn injection pumps due to contaminated fuel could also be a cause. Get your mechanic to check the FLS and FTS settings. If these are OK and boost pressure is still low then the pump's probably due for a rebuild. You can install new injection pumps in situ, but if the engine has high hours it probably isn't worth it due to the possibility of camshaft problems mentioned above. If you can give the serial and/or arrangement number, I can tell you how much boost you should have. Good luck.

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2010-02-04 14:48

    3306 3306 D 7RJ02960 1045314 Mangement number Well I just heard from the third shop I put it in and they are saying they need to pull the pump and have it tested and or rebuilt and or a turbo. I told them to put it back together, boy these shops can really rip you off. This shop was supposed to have a good fuel injection person working there and thats the reason I took it there, but they sent him out on a service call and let Mo Larry and Curly look at my truck and charge me $95 per hour Im picking it up and taking it to a guy that retired from Cat. I just found out about him Thanks

  8. #8Cmark2010-02-04 16:08

    Boost should be around 20psi. Oh, and there is no 3306D, it's a 3306C Good luck

  9. #9Tiny2010-02-04 19:55

    The one in the truck i drive daily (3306) will push the gauge to 20 lbs

  10. #10Deerehauler2010-02-05 00:07

    I had turbo trouble with the C-12 I drive. It would only make about 10 psi boost and would not pull the hat off your head. Since this is an electonic engine, I had Cat hook up their laptop to it and check everything out--everything checked good. We then looked at the exhaust side of the turbo and noticed that the turbine blades were a long distance from the housing. The exhaust manifolds were eroding from the inside and the metal from the manifolds was eating the ends of the blades on the turbine blades. The most noticable internal manifold erosion I saw was on the 'dividing wall' between the front and rear ports. I replaced the complete exhaust manifold and the turbo and now I have plenty of boost and horsepower.

  11. #11Squizzy246B2010-02-05 06:45

    I'd be loathe to proceed until the injectors were tested. I've seen low power many times on these engines with worn injectors.

  12. #12Tiny2010-02-05 14:54

    Just remembered,have had two trucks that the ATAAC cracked along the ends and was leaking boost pressure away.Any whistling or hissing under acceleration? (Air to air after cooler)

  13. #13Willis Bushogin2010-02-05 15:18

    3306 No noticeable noise, also he tested the whole system and it didnt leak down We are still scratching our Butts over this one, but we havent gave up yet. Im sure (I hope) it will be something simple.

  14. #142stickbill2010-02-05 18:44

    Before I would pull the pump I would check the injectors.If the pump has to be rebuilt you will know that you have good injectors.

  15. #15Willis Bushogin2010-02-05 19:50

    3306 That is the plan now I think. The new shop, is going to double check the other work, then pull the injectors and have them tested and do a compression check. I am trying to find a good used turbo to do some final test. I have a friend that has 2 of these engines in wrecked trucks. The weather has been so bad in our area that we dont need any trucks right now anywhere Thanks for any and all advise

  16. #162stickbill2010-02-05 20:50

    Hey if all this fails stick a 238 screaming Jimmy in it.

  17. #17Willis Bushogin2010-02-06 08:33

    3306 I was thinking a 3406B, but thats a lot of work when you go to change different engines

  18. #182stickbill2010-02-06 10:13

    Yes and a lot of head aches.Drive line might not hold up under the 3406.Plus it might be wiring and linkage differences.I am sure they will find the trouble. If I am not mistaken the pump can be checked on the truck.Call a Cat dealer and ask them.The injectors would be what I would check before a high dollar pump job.

  19. #19Willis Bushogin2010-02-09 15:35

    3306 low power Well we are getting close, to getting this fixed I hope Took the fuel/ratio valve off and bench checked for leaks, couldnt get it to hold pressure, it was leaking through the housing, into the bolt holes. Got to checking and found crack in housing. I have ordered a new assembly from Cat $350. I also found the turbo was hitting the housing, looking for a good used turbo. I will pick up the part from Cat on Wed and hopefully get it put on and I hope that solves the boost pressure issue

  20. #20Willis Bushogin2010-02-10 20:59

    3306 well guess I hit another dead end, I thought sure this guy had it figured out. I know the air/fuel ratio assy. was bad I saw it leaking. Took it out for a test ride and the same no power issue, loaded He is going to call some buddies at Cat, he thinks, now it might be in the governor, but unlike the other guys he wants to do more research before changing parts again. He has made several adjustments on the two screws for the fuel (I forgot what he called them) finally he turned them all the way out (almost) and still the same thing. He says we should be getting major black smoking now, but its just a very little black smoke when starting off and through the gears. This is a very knowable guy and he has helped me out in the past, looks like it may take some extra time on this one.

  21. #21Squizzy246B2010-02-10 21:06

    Have you had those injectors tested yet?

  22. #22Willis Bushogin2010-02-10 21:14

    3306 I asked him about that today and he said the engine started and ran too good, for the injectors to be real bad. It is on the top of the list to do. I guess this kind of thing, is a trail and error thing Thanks

  23. #231toomanyhobbies2012-03-18 12:36

    Just reading through this thread and found it interesting. Willis, did you ever find out what was the power problem?

  24. #24Willis Bushogin2012-03-18 16:25

    I never figured it out, I sold the truck to a local mechanic and he put a 3406 in it I really think it was low compression, but I never had it checked. I still like the 3306 engines, I guess I got a bad one

  25. #251toomanyhobbies2012-03-19 22:25

    I really hate to hear that. I can imagine you spent some $$ with the shops that looked at it before deciding to sell. I guess this is the potential nightmare we all face when running older dump trucks. Thanks for sharing your experience.

  26. #26divedigger2012-03-23 11:15

    3306 water in oil I bought a 89 MARMON heavy triaxle with a 3306 and 8ll and starts and runs good but has water in the oil. Besides o-rings around the liners , whot else shoule I look for? Dont mean to hijack you thread but seems like a lot of knowledge on the 3306s here Thanks Divedigger

  27. #27Willis Bushogin2012-03-23 20:32

    My first experience with 3306, water in oil went like this pulled radiator and had it tested (tested good) installed a Cat rebuilt water pump (same deal, still getting water) dropped base pan and pressurized water system (no signs of Orings leaking) Now Im getting Peed off I pulled the water pump and replaced it with one off a running engine GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they sold me a bad water pump, no leaks now Of course, this is $1800 later and alot less hair on my head If the water pump, doesnt fix it pull the oil cooler, unless its a rough engine, I would change it, or at least have it tested. You can test it yourself, but most radiator shops do it How does it run? does it smoke? I will fore-warn you, if you buy a rebuilt pump from Cat, you will have to put up a core deposit, its usually the same price as a water pump. They will refund your money (maybe) if your core is good, about 30 days Its not hard to change, you can do it. most heavy equipment places can get it for you, it doesnt have to be a Cat dealer, just have your engine serial number ready Dont let Joe Smoo, talk you into rebuilding your pump, the kit will cost you a bunch and then you have to worry about doing it correctly, the warranty is yours then I dont remember what Cat charged me, but Im thinking $4-$500. I bought one about a year ago for around $300, no core required If you cant find one, send me a PM

  28. #28divedigger2012-03-24 08:52

    3306 water in oil I bought the truck like this because of heavy eatons on beams, a reman 8LL and a 20K pusher and thought I would keep the 8LL then parts it out , but after learning that these were hand made trucks and thats the only known problem, it with be a shame to bone out a Classic especially that this truck was being used till this happened so they decided to trade dump beds on another truck with more HP. The owner said it was 1 tough ole truck and had been O/H about 3 yrs ago ,so I want to see if it is feesable to fix and if not , it will make $ just boneing it out! Incidently the last MARMON was in 1997 and I have found a site that will buy any used parts but Quick as I can kick out a hole in the shop, cursority has the best of me! Thanks again for the info, buy the way I am just over the hill from you in the Tri Cities area in Tennessee

  29. #29Luiz Dias2018-03-25 08:20

    I bought a Ford L9000 with the same engine and same problem, every body I talked to said "you got a small engine, it is what it is", till a guy that I met at work that had the same engine told me to check the diaphragm at the injector pump( on the rear of the pump, afrc...) Now I got my 300hp, and it's plenty for my old truck. The diaphragm kit with some orings and a little gasket cost about $30