Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3306B injection pump drive gear

workshoprat92 · 2024-12-01 18:15

I have the injection pump installed. The bolt in the flywheel through the back of the bellhousing and the pin in the injection pump as per the manual. It then says to use the 6V6176 tool on the weight assembly. I cannot find this tool anywhere on the internet. Looking at the picture of it even if i could find it, it looks like the bolt holes i would need are covered up by the large washer. How critical is this? It looks like its just to make sure there is no slack in all the gears? Is there an updated tool or newer procedure?

Replies2
  1. #1Cmark2024-12-02 02:58

    Yes, it's to take the backlash out. Install the pins and tighten the bolt tight enough so the gear doesn't slip on the taper. Remove the pins and rotate the crankshaft 720° until the pump pin slips back in. If the flywheel bolt also lines up, you're good. If it doesn't, loosen the gear, rotate the crank a little and try again.

  2. #2Coaldust2024-12-02 03:32

    I agree with Cmark. I’ve never seen anyone use that tool and I’ve never put my eyes on one. He explained it very well.