2004 330 CL -why would it have four batteries I am being told it should only need two for regular operation TIA
More starting power a cold weather option perhaps
As stated above, 4 batteries are included in the cold weather option. Yes, it will run reliably on two batteries, unless cold weather starts are required. My 328DLCR machines only have room for two batteries, and, when below freezing, they run out of cranking oomph unless I use two high capacity 30H batteries (1000CCA 115-2422) which are, ironically, only available from Caterpillar. All my 4 battery Caterpillars use standard 750CCA 30H (3T-5760) batteries, which are also available aftermarket.
The cold start package also includes an ether injector and mount brackets for the bottle. I don't know that there was any rhyme or reason to having it here on the coast, but some machines that were ordered in as stock came with it. When the machines get older and the batteries get worn out, people just replace two and tape off or remove the second set of cables.
As for needing 4, my 324D and 328d machine require excessive cranking to start in cold weather. My 320d, 320e, 322b, and 321c all start "normal". I believe it has to due with the building the high pressure oil to fire the injectors.
Post a Serial Number and I can tell you whether or not it was originally built ex-factory with a cold starting package. Often the Cold starting package included a different P/N of starter motor. That info might be useful to you at some future date.
Thank you Serial Number DKY02140
Built 4th March 2004 with a 126-1289 Cold Starting Arrgt (4 batteries). The starter motor is a 338-3454 which has a higher amperage capacity than the standard 207-1556 motor.
I thought it was the other way. On my 325CLCR BKW00334, the dealer came out twice to put the second set of batteries in, as it wouldn't roll fast enough to start in 15°F weather, when new. Ended up with 2 1000cca batteries in place of the 2 750cca batteries, and a starter that required LESS amps.
I'm only looking at the 336C specifications. The 338-3454 starter for the cold weather package is rated maximum 115A current draw. The 207-1556 is rated maximum 90A current draw.
A 37MT draws a 1000 amps in 12v configuration. So, 115a and 90a are probably not correct.
Sorry, should have been clearer. 95 & 110A are the current ratings at maximum free speed RPM not under load.