Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406 HUEI engine

nicky 68a · 2021-08-09 02:31

Good morning. I was discussing HUEI engines last week for no particular reason and we were trying to figure out approx when Cat added HUEI pumps to their 3406 engines in D8R’s,621F’s,16H etc? I’ve allways avoided them at all costs on the recommendation of the chap that helps me out with the spanner jobs,but I’m just curious. I’m guessing late 1990’s? Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2021-08-09 04:46

    3408E and 3412E had a HEUI system in maybe late 90's. As far as I know, the 3406 and its derivatives have never had a HEUI system, but I could be wrong.

  2. #2Nige2021-08-09 10:46

    Wot he said, and he's not wrong......˄˄˄˄˄˄ I first came across a HEUI-equipped 3412E in early '96 in a very early D10R, 3KR300-and-something IIRC. I think the 9R went HEUI at the same time. Interesting thing about the D9R. The 7TL & 8BL-prefix machines started the production run with a mechanical-injection 3408 (48W-prefix) in them, then at some point fairly early on (first 500 machines or so) the engine went HEUI with a 99C-prefix. Regarding the D8R, the engine changed from a mechanical one to a 3406E with later models, e.g. all the Series II machines had electronic engines. Mechanical engines are generally 41Z-prefix, electronic are BET. Is this what he was talking about.? It's still not a HEUI though.

  3. #3nicky 68a2021-08-11 04:58

    I think you must be right lads.I’m not we’ll up on them at all. Yes,must be electronic. Thanks