Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3406 PCTA to DITA conversion?

92U 3406 ยท 2019-03-30 17:12

I've heard rumours that 92U prefix 3406's were available as both pre-cup and direct injection. Mine is apart on the shop floor and will need a complete rebuild. Just wondering what is all involved in converting the engine to direct injection? Mainly concerned about whether or not I'd have to replace the injection pump (too much $$$$).

Replies13
  1. #1kshansen2019-03-30 19:39

    Hope that Nige sees this or you might want to "Start a Conversation" with him about it. That said my money would be on needing a different pump or at least some serious changes to yours, Pumpguy may also be someone to check with.

  2. #2Truck Shop2019-03-30 20:29

    The PC pump was used with DI but IIRC there is a change in timing. I'm thinking the pump drive gear was different for some reason. I did two PC to DI conversions over 35 years ago but it's been too long to remember everything.

  3. #392U 34062019-03-30 20:44

    I know they updated the timing advance once or twice. I believe mine is the newer style.

  4. #4RZucker2019-03-30 22:26

    If it's out on the ground, I bet you can find a nice B model for the same money to convert yours.

  5. #592U 34062019-03-30 22:59

    I've thought about it but this is just for a play truck. Figured if I needed a new head and the conversion was pretty easy I'd go for it. If my head checks out ok I'll just keep it PC.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2019-03-30 23:51

    If it is for a play truck I would keep it PC for the cool sound factor.

  7. #7Junkyard2019-03-31 00:34

    They do have a sound all their own.

  8. #8Nige2019-03-31 05:01

    I can't find any information relating to this conversion. That doesn't mean to say it isn't possible, just that without the info in a "how to" Special Instruction makes it difficult unless you can find someone who's a) done it themselves and b) documented what they did.

  9. #9kshansen2019-03-31 11:39

    I suppose if you could find a DI engine with a close application to yours and get the S/N off it and then compare the parts break down to the one for yours one could get a good idea of what major parts are different. That TMI Web site when it would work for me might have been some help.

  10. #1092U 34062019-03-31 11:57

    When I look in SIS they do list PC and DI pistons, as well as DI and PC heads. Nothing on the injection pump breakdowns indicate PC or DI though. I may just need to sit down with an adult beverage and spend an afternoon digging into SIS to see if I can find anything.

  11. #11Birken Vogt2019-03-31 12:18

    I found this thread: http://forums.aths.org/Topic84741.aspx I hate to say but I wonder if some of the people offering advice on that thread are still in a condition to offer it 8 years later.

  12. #12Nige2019-03-31 13:15

    It might be worth joining that forum and posing the question there. Who know, you might hit pay dirt..?

  13. #13truckdoctor2019-03-31 20:25

    I think the injection pump housing does not change but I'm not fully sure if the piston pumps change. I think the PC injection pump and the DI pump housings are the same. I'll see if I have time to look on SIS and see.