Ok, here's the deal.....I have a badly leaking power steering pump on my Cat 3406b in my 1986 Peterbilt 359 Dump truck. I cleaned it up and found the leak is within the pump itself and not from any of the hose connections. Here are my questions: Is it typical to rebuild a pump like this or just buy a new one? If it can be rebuilt, what type of shop would do this? My mechanic says he can't do it. Would some sort of stop leak work? The pump seems to work well but I am constantly adding fluid to it. Can anyone recommend a place that might sell good used (tested) pumps? From the pictures, can anyone tell me what model # it might be? Also, it looks pretty strait forward to remove. Does anyone have any tips? Thanks for your time....
If the pump is leaking at the seams you might be able to tighten the 4 3/8 housing bolts to seal it up , itis a steel on steel seal surface so they need to be snug From the picture I would say that is a Vickers V-10 or V-20
Thanks Oldiron, I'll try tightening the bolts ASAP.