Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

353n and 371 Detroit HELP! HELP!

Jeff S ยท 2009-05-31 18:53

Would anyone know if theres much of a difference between the 353n and a 371? I found a detroit 3 cyl., not sure what it is, 353n or 353 or 371. I would like to replace the 353n that's in my loader with this motor and not sure if it will work or not. Also the starter is on the opposite side as my 353n but, the exhaust and blower are on the same sides as the 353n. Thanks for the help! Jeff S

Replies9
  1. #1gavin moore2009-06-01 21:34

    A 3-71 is phisicaly bigger, I think it would bolt up though, and the 371 has more cubic inches, 71 per cyl instead of 53,

  2. #2willie592009-06-01 22:23

    Easiest way to identify whether it's a 53 series or a 71 series is the valve cover fasteners. The 53 series uses screws on each side of the valve cover to bolt it down. The 71 series uses bolts or knob bolts in the center of the valve cover to bolt it down. Gavin is right about the hp being different, the series is the cubic inches per cylinder, 53 or 71. I've worked on plenty of Detroits, but never changed from one series to another on a machine so I don't know if there's a difference in bolting up. I'd guess they would interchange, but can't say for sure. :beatsme One thing you should check is that the repower engine turns the same way as your engine, Detroits will run clockwise or counterclockwise depending on how the customer wanted it spec'd.

  3. #3Jeff S2009-06-02 17:16

    Guys, Thanks for the help! I called my local dealer and he said the bell housings are different and won't bolt up! Figures!!! Thanks again Jeff

  4. #4willie592009-06-02 21:14

    Durn the bad luck! :Banghead I haven't removed one series and tried to install a different series, I didn't have a clue if they were the same. Since the engine wouldn't work, what wrong with your engine that made you want to change it out? Did you figure out if you have a 3-53 or a 3-71?

  5. #5Jeff S2009-06-02 22:11

    AtcoEquip, It was real weak, barely had any compression and when you first start it you hear a knock. I pulled the pan and notice the first rod (front) was loose so i removed the cap and notice the crank is pretty scraped up! I might have over reacted- earlier this evening got P.O. and listed my dozer, mini ex., and this loader on ********* for sale. A guy wants to come look at the loader. I should of thought about it more before listing but oh well. By the way, the 3-53n is way different looking then 3-71. You guys where right on it being a completely different animal. Thanks Jeff

  6. #6willie592009-06-02 23:20

    Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. Yeah, sounds like you have a tired Detroit. I hate to hear you listing all your stuff. Damn, things are tough right now. Keep us posted on how things go, we'll help you all we can.

  7. #7kenaustin2009-06-04 09:46

    353-371 conversion you can get sae flywheel housings for both engines a 1, 2 or 3. But the problem is finding the correct housing for the 371 engine. You got to have the blower drive on the correct side. I think it be easier to rebuild what you have.

  8. #8jakesdad2009-06-28 23:27

    my expierence with changing different engines is very hard. If you rebuild the one you have . I think kits for that engine are pretty cheap.

  9. #9Iron Horse2009-06-29 01:15

    Nothing a piece of 1/2" steel plate couldn't fix . It's only running a torque converter isn't it ?