Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

3820 IH hoe

tuney443 ยท 2008-06-18 21:30

If anyone has an old 3820 Cornbinder,I have some new various parts that I'll make a deal you won't refuse.

Replies29
  1. #1Phil2008-06-20 05:41

    I had a 3800 once, it was a 4 wheel drive, rear steer machine. What is the difference between that and the 3820? Phil

  2. #2tuney4432008-06-21 17:02

    The 3820 is newer,bigger,more powerful{6 cyl. engine,about 100 HP,1.5 yd.loader,the 2' bucket was just shy of 1/2 yard,weighed 11 ton} than a 3800,which from memory had a 3514 hoe on her.The hoe on a 3820 came from a 3600,which I always thought even though it was an animal,really should have been stronger,as it would not push the tractor around too good when digging or getting un-stuck.IH also has a 3850,which is a rear wheel steer 1.5 yd. loader--also back in the 70's.Also,same as your 3800,the 3820 is 4X4 and rear wheel steer.OH--almost forgot--cool thing-it also has a hydraulic seat--you would raise yourself up and then manually spin yourself around--first time my Dad operated it,he thought he was going to get his head crushed in from the roof of the cab.

  3. #3mnm2009-10-05 00:33

    new post doing my first three posts :Banghead

  4. #4chris's tt22212009-11-21 22:22

    IH 3820 Allison TT2220-1 Hi Im Seeking advice on my Allison TT2220-1 trasmission on my IH Backhoe. as i run the machine, or even at idel...the trasmission fluid is draining from the tranny and being moved to the main hydraulic tank. it takes about 30 mintes to relocate 5-6 gallons. what should i be looking at to solve this problem??? the system seems to work fine when i fill it, it just drains the tranny fluid to the main hyd tank?????

  5. #5Phil2009-11-22 07:05

    Usually any fluid transfer like this is usually through an oil pump shaft seal. I vaguely recall the Timberjack 330 skidder I had once with an Allison tranny, same as the one on a 3800 IH hoe I had too. The transmission charge pump and the hydraulic pump were mounted together, one behind the other. Good place to start. There were two different pump drive locations on that transmission as I recall, near the top and facing to the rear, side by side. Any pump(s) mounted there should be checked for shaft radial 'play', and the input seal(s) replaced with the correct one. Some of these pump seals are made just for that application and are special order. Other pump problems may cause the input shaft seal to leak so keep that in mind. I can't recall any other place where the two fluids come close to each other. Phil

  6. #6chris's tt22212009-11-22 09:43

    IH 3820 Allison TT2220-1 Phil thanks for the reply & info. I have 3 pumps on this machine, 1 for backhoe swing/brakes. 1 for main backhoe operation, 1 for seat operation. I am not aware that any of these charges or supplies the tranny. my hydro dyagrams do not show any of them supporting the tranny. I was currious to know if the clutch cut off / control valve could be faulty, maybe a check valve gone bad? I know the IH 3800 was/is very similar to the IH 3820, but i dont believe i have a single external pump that supports the tranny. I was also thinking maybe somehoe the brake valve could be faulty, I was think the brake valve may also provide fluid to the tranny cut off valve. any additional comments thoughts would be greatly welcomed. thanks christopher

  7. #7tuney4432009-11-22 18:51

    Chris---If I recall correctly,there was some kind of mixed use tank for hydraulics and the Allison on the 3820.What problems are you having besides your oil disappearing?I'm maybe thinking you might not be aware of this.When my pump went south,one of the 2 that are piggy backed on the Ally,there was only a replacement pump available that combined the 2 made from Commercial Shearing.I still have the original smaller of those 2 pumps if you ever need that and like my original post says,I still have a box of goodies still available plus a complete decal set.

  8. #8chris's tt22212009-11-22 22:38

    I dont see or notice any other problem or symptom, backhoe works strong, when tranny is full, machine runs and drives very strong, I can push and drag very large trees. other then the oil mysteriously relocating to the main hydraulic tank and draining the tranny, I don't see any thing else acting out of normal, even the clutch pressure gauge works good when filled with oil. My 3820 does not have a mixed oil tank, by all means they are seperated, all the manuals I have show the hydro tank is for the use of the 3 pumps only... not the tranny. I think I ned a book on the tranny.... and the clutch cut off valve... I have every book for the machine but the tranny..... Hyde Park??.... I grew up in Marlboro What parts do you have?

  9. #9Phil2009-11-23 07:20

    The only thing I can add is that the small transmission pump was at the base of the mount and the big Commercial pump that operated the hydraulics was just behind it, as I recall. One would not realize it was there since there are no lines going to it. Those Allison transmissions were used in many different machines, often behind a Detroit Diesel. Phil

  10. #10rogernjus2010-08-27 18:36

    Just Bought 3820 model A. It is being delivered on Sat. morning. Might be interested in your parts?? Not sure yet..

  11. #11tuney4432010-08-29 11:08

    So---what's the story on your 3820? By the way,there's really no reason to say it's a Model A, as IH never made a B,C,etc.I still have those parts if you want them.

  12. #12rogernjus2010-08-29 17:54

    3820 I had the 3820 delivered in friday morning and I personally drove it off the Lowboy trailer it is running just fine! (First time for a rear steer)It is a little hard starting but one it is running it will go all day! Not sure of the glow plug switch as it has a jury rigged start. It needs cosmetic work and it was low on Hydrolic Fluid put some in and every function works! the seat is a trip! What parts do you have? I am interested of course! Roger

  13. #13rogernjus2010-08-29 17:56

    Actually it was delivered Sat morning not friday

  14. #14tuney4432010-08-29 21:17

    Your engine does not have glow plugs.What you have there is that chrome T handle that starts and shuts down your engine.I don't remember it's exact name but it definitely controls your fuel delivery somehow.When it's warm out,you don't need to use it to start,but if it's app.40* or colder,you need to pull that out app.3/4 of the way out,it's like a fuel enricher for lack of a better term---full out shuts her down,don't forget to also turn the key off also.Cosmetic work huh? I have a full decal set for you and a bunch of pins ,bushings,and other stuff I'll have to look and see.I can give you part #'s but it sounds like you don't have any manuals on her yet.I think we should now send this over to PM's before we get yelled at by the internet police.

  15. #15ednau2011-02-14 19:19

    if you still have some parts let me know . i bought a 3280 last fall, could always use some back up parts thanks ed

  16. #16arky_boy2011-05-19 14:55

    Hey guys. I have a 3820 with the three pumps as has been described. The brakes have completely gone out and I have all ready replaced the master cylinder without any change. The manual shows that the pressure comes from the smaller (10gpm I think) pump that also controls the backhoe swing so I figured that would be the next thing to change (though the swing works fine). Question 1 would be do any of you have an idea what else might be causing it and 2 do you know where I might find that pump or have mine looked at. Thanks John

  17. #17tuney4432011-05-20 11:09

    I will tell you arky boy you have 1 way more than needed hydraulic confusion going on in that 3820.I don't for the love of me know why IH made that machine so damn confusing.I vaguely remember also changing the master cylinder[it was in the early 80's] for no brakes and I seem to remember some kind of diverter valve close by that was really the culprit.As I already explained in a previous post here,I installed the newer larger pump to replace 2 of the original pumps,so I still have the smaller pump for sale.I'm not 100% sure but I think you're referring to the other smallest of the original 3 pumps in your post.Nevertheless,I will check soon and PM you the part # so at least you know where there's a good pump for a spare.Very surprised yours still has those 3 pumps as I remember IH discontinued making the 2 that were piggy backed on the Ally.

  18. #18ednau2011-06-13 19:05

    hope you have it fixed by now, but if not did you bench prime the master cylinder before installing . also my manual describes the proper sequence in bleeding the brakes, if you need it let me know

  19. #19nigelbristow2013-09-22 01:19

    I have a damaged RAM/outrigger on my IH 3820. Any idea where I may be able to get replacement parts?

  20. #20tuney4432013-09-22 07:32

    I believe the 3600 tractor shares the same hoe as the 3820 so you know you're not limited in your parts search.I would start by contacting Dressta,the co. that took over Dresser who took over IH.Then,if need be,go to the aftermarket/used parts guys on the net.Fair amount of choices,shouldn't be that hard.

  21. #21nigelbristow2013-09-22 12:57

    Ih 3820 Thanks. Your answer was very helpful.

  22. #22madcow2013-11-06 07:42

    I just got a 3820a backhoe. I'm looking for the front cab glass. Also, I need most of the gauges from the dash. A serviceable wiring harness would be great too.

  23. #23tuney4432013-12-29 11:50

    Don't have anything like that madcow.I do know IH did NOT build their own cabs on these old cornbinders. There were at least 2 brands,mine I remember was a Palm Industries one.

  24. #24tonyroland2014-04-22 18:27

    hi am looking for parts for my 3820a payhoe

  25. #25tonyroland2014-04-22 18:35

    hi again, i am looking for a injector pump for my 3820a payhoe. it has the german 310 motor.

  26. #26tuney4432014-04-24 09:50

    Do I have a deal for you,just PM me.

  27. #27tonyroland2014-05-05 13:38

    thanks I am interested, need hydraulic pilot relief valve and injector pump.it is complete and runs great other wise.

  28. #28ywca2015-01-15 08:03

    looking for hydraulic control vavles for 3800 need thewhole bank any one know where to look thanks

  29. #29tuney4432015-01-15 08:35

    Have no idea but you would be better served starting a new thread as a 3800 is completely different than a 3820.