Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Not so good operating style

CAT D9H ยท 2008-06-22 00:04

I gotta vent alittle , yesterday (friday) me and my bosses son were on a job digging leach line I was in a Case 580L with a hammer on it and he was also in a 580L with a 2 foot bucket we have been in shale for most of the ditch which is why I was there with the hammer on the backhoe , towards the last 20 feet of the ditch he hit a patch of shale, but he never stopped to let me hammer it out instead he would pick the boom up completely out of the 6 foot deep ditch and then slam it back down into the shale teeth first he kept doing that non stop , id try and put the hammer in there to get him to stop and do it the right way but he kept telling me that he was "gettin it" I could not believe what I was seeing , knowing that this was horriable for everything on the backhoe I kept asking him if he thought it was ok to be doing that , he never said anything , it really irritated me to sit and watch the bosses son do this to his dads machine , especially when I was sitting there with a perfectly good hammer on the backhoe , the bad thing about it is he is always saying how he likes to take care and maintain all the machines, but really there was nothing i could do

Replies11
  1. #1RollOver Pete2008-06-22 00:08

    A few things come to mind. 1... Don't do as I do, do as I tell you. 2... Membership has its privileges. 3... Your boss is an idiot.

  2. #2CAT D9H2008-06-22 00:42
  3. #3digger242j2008-06-22 08:53

    That's totally unnecessary! It won't hit any faster than if you only pick it up a foot or so...

  4. #4Squizzy246B2008-06-22 09:56

    Listen Folks....the voice of experience

  5. #5Lashlander2008-06-22 11:19

    Actually it won't hit as hard. After the initial free fall the flow of the hydraulic oil will slow it down. He would have got it way faster just raising a it a foot. Jeez, the guy must be an amateur!

  6. #6OneWelder2008-06-22 14:49

    I have never seen a piece of broken equipment that the operator thought he had abused, or negelected in any way- even if they subscribe to the theory of " greasing it seven times as much once a week"

  7. #7CAT D9H2008-06-22 23:13

    The funny thing about it is that hes been running equpment for about 20 years now , and in that very backhoe they have already had to replace every pin and bushing on the backhoe and the hinge pin for the boom and stick has broken 3 different times , but of course that was never his fault , go figure

  8. #8tuney4432008-06-24 09:30

    6'--is that all? Reminds me of the time that idiot director from Discovery was filming me a year later on the mastodon dig and wanted me to drop the bucket on my 510B from full height into the pond.I told him that definitely was not the way we found and extracted the skeleton a year earlier.Said, he didn't care--wanted ''effect''. So I gave him his ''effect'' to the tune of splashing him and his camera man plus some of their equipment.Morons.

  9. #9crs362008-06-27 17:44

    I there a manual/book where a newbee can pick up some tip's for safety andhow a job should be tackled? The guy I bought the backhoe seem's very interested in what I plan and may be the best source of info, but I thought I'd ask. Thank's Chris

  10. #10JS580SL2008-06-27 18:42

    In 4100 hours we never broke a thing on our Super L, was a great machine.

  11. #11CAT D9H2008-06-30 01:22

    I cant take anything away from that 580L it has had a very hard life at 250 hours they were unloading it and rolled it so it got a new cab boom and stick now its got around 7100 hours and it still runs great , with the exception of all the stuff thats had to be replaced because of the operator/(owners son) he is very hard on equipment his motto seems to be "run it till it breaks" and he does