Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4 speed shifter came apart, case 580

timmi ยท 2008-07-21 16:51

My 4 speed trans shifter came apart somehow. I dont know the terminology of the parts, but the main rod came seperated from the 2 forks that shift the gears. The rod moves around freely without anything happening. I pulled the cover and rod up off the trans, and I think I see how it goes back together, but I want to know why this happened and how can I prevent it in the future? Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1Countryboy2008-07-21 19:55

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums timmi! :drinkup

  2. #2timmi2008-07-21 23:00

    Thank you sir, glad to be here!

  3. #3timmi2008-07-22 04:00

    Has anyone else had this problem? I put it back together (PITA with that brake rod bracket right in the way!), and i played around with it some and i managed to make it pop out of position again. so i dont know what to think. im really in the middle of nowhere so im pretty much on my own with this... and its getting frustrating!! ??

  4. #4Phil2008-07-22 07:16

    If I remember this correctly, I had an E once and it was almost impossible to get it in gear, the gearshift "stick" would rotate around, slide up and down. There is a pin in the stick that had broke or fallen out, that keeps the ball on the end of the stick aligned in the forks. Case dealer had a new one, not an uncommon problem, still can't remember what the pin looked like. I think it follows a slot in the cover. Is this your problem??Phil

  5. #5timmi2008-07-22 12:20

    That is definately the same problem I have. So the shift rod isn't supposed to "rotate"? It rotates when in neutral. I figured it was normal at the time when I first drove it.. Thanks

  6. #6Goose2008-07-22 19:38

    The ball on the shifter is held on the shaft by a roll pin or a spring pin. The ball is kept from rotating in the housing by a pin that screws in the side of the tower. The pin lets the shifter move front to rear and side to side but keeps it from rotating. Pull the boot up the shifter and remove the snapring above the ball and pull the shifter and ball out. When you assemble with a new roll pin make sure the shifter, ball and tower are in the right position or the shifter will tilt to the rear instead of the front.

  7. #7timmi2008-07-22 20:15

    :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Goose, If i could buy you a beer, i would! :drinkup

  8. #8Goose2008-07-23 21:41

    Glad to be of help. Theres not to many problems I have not worked through in the last 25 years working at a Case dealership and working around these hoes everyday.

  9. #9uk580f2008-07-25 18:39

    hi all just a quick questio while we are talkin [email protected] am restoring a 580f athe mo.daft question but i cant seem to get four wheel drive working?On the dash there is a switch for neutral and drive, has this anything to do with it? thanks

  10. #10Countryboy2008-07-25 21:34

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums uk580f! :drinkup

  11. #11uk580f2008-07-27 11:01

    580f age hi thanks. its a great forum you have.in the uk its hard to find any info on the case 580's. Can anybody tell me how to find the age of my machine? thanks