Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4045 Powertech help

DB2 ยท 2015-06-02 22:10

Have one of these that blew a head gasket. Does anyone know if the head bolts should be replaced or can they reused? Also the head has cracks on two cylinders around the injector seats. Is this common? Thanks for any help.

Replies9
  1. #1pajibson2015-06-02 23:51

    Not sure how common the cracking around the injector seats is. I would always recommend replacing the head bolts...its cheaper than doing the job twice. I have some manuals for those engines I can email to you if you're interested.

  2. #2Killbox Alpha2015-07-05 16:52

    X2 You should always replace head bolts. These bolt actually stretch in the torquing procedure so reuse would be risky. About the cracks in the head, those were pretty bullet proof engines so really nothing was "common" I'd like to see a pic of these cracks you are talking about. Could they be cracks in the paint??

  3. #3DB22015-07-05 19:18

    Sorry but head has already been sent in for core. It was diagnosed by a local machine shop and the cracks were quite visible after we knew where to look. Suspect coolant was added to a hot engine at some point and the resultant damage occurred. Begin puffing large plumes of smoke upon start up and was continually low on antifreeze

  4. #4john hofer2015-07-05 20:01

    Heat engine to 100 degrees than re-torque while still hot.I know its a lot off work but you will be surprised how loose the bolts are.

  5. #5Volvomad2015-07-12 19:09

    Not familiar with 4045 but I have just don a headgasket on a 6068 powertech . I replaced the headbolts . They seem to stretch on these engines more than others . Make sure you have upto date torque settings because Deere tend to revise them if there are problems , years after production . I did mine to 100nm,150nm, have tea, 150nm, 60degrees .

  6. #6DB22015-07-12 20:29

    Have new bolts Do anyone have the sequence and values for one of these later 4045s? The book I have is for an older version and doesn't use the torque turn method Thanks

  7. #7pajibson2015-07-13 21:38

    PM sent with a link to a dropbox with the manuals. Hope this helps

  8. #8DB22015-07-15 23:20

    Thank you very much pajibson !

  9. #9pajibson2015-07-16 21:28

    you're welcome. Glad I could help.