Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

410 John Deer Backhoe approximately 1977 hydraulic problems

npbn ยท 2013-06-13 17:22

First the machine would not move forward or reverse. Then a month later all the hydraulic's stopped functioning. I don't know if it is the main hydraulic pump in front of the engine, the clutch, or possibly the screen filter in between the hydraulic return oil filter and the transmission oil filter. We would like to know how to proceed in a testing procedure to pinpoint the problem. We don't believe the main hydraulic pump is receiving fluid.

Replies10
  1. #1BillG2013-06-13 17:43

    I'm not familiar with the 410 but, does the trans share oil with the hydraulics? A dumb question, have you checked oil levels? It seems strange that both systems failed at a;most the same time. If the pump isn't being supplied with oil it's either because of a bad suction leak or no oil or a bad pump / coupling.

  2. #2Delmer2013-06-13 18:11

    What is it doing now? Did the transmission issue resolve itself, or did you stop using it? Have you changed the filters and/or checked them for debris? There are a some recent threads on the 410 trans/hydraulic issues, reading those would be the first place to start. I'd guess it's none of those three things. Maybe the transmission/charge pump.

  3. #3npbn2013-06-13 18:49

    You have a very good question, I believe thethe trans does share the oil with the hydraulics. Yes we checked the oil levels. Will check the suction for leaks . We are going to check the pump. We you have any suggestions on how to check the pump without a guage?

  4. #4npbn2013-06-13 18:52

    No the transmission did not resolve itselt, we are unable to use the machine. Yes we changed the filters, but not the screen in between the hydraulic oil filter and return, and the transmission oil filter. That we have to check. Thank you.....

  5. #5Delmer2013-06-13 19:10

    The front hydraulic pump is supplied with "medium pressure" oil from the transmission charge pump, I don't think there is any suction hose. If you can find the transmission test port, or the inlet to the hydraulic pump, just disconnect them and crank for a second to see if it will pump any oil. That's a start. No need to test the main hydraulic pump yet. Did you drain the fluid? what condition? Did this happen while running, or did it start up and not work one day?

  6. #6Deon2013-06-13 20:11

    npbn, Open this link and start reading on page 295. You should find something of interest there. This screen may be your problem.

  7. #7OldandWorn2013-06-13 20:35

    I will have to say Deon, I was disappointed that the hydraulics didn't move any faster when I cleaned the screen. It must suck the fluid straight through the other open end of the screen tube when it gets clogged as I know for sure no fluid was getting through the screen part.

  8. #8Deon2013-06-13 20:55

    Oh, I guess I'm sending npby in the wrong direction. He may need to do some pressure testing. Hope someone can tell him how.

  9. #9npbn2013-06-13 22:00

    No oil going to the pump.....This happened while the machine was running down hill.....The transmission would not move forward or backwards. We towed it back up the hill on a level ground and we started making some adjustments on the hydraulic and transmission to get it started , to try to get the machine to move forward and backwards, nothing happened. The hydraulic backhoe part was working, front end was working, hydraulic system was working then it all went out completely. We that went down we tried to open the hydraulic to the pump and no oil would come out of the pump. Nothing worked after all this. No respose from the hydraulic and the transmission.

  10. #10Delmer2013-06-13 22:32

    I take that back, sure could be either the screen or the clutch. I wouldn't expect the hydraulic pump to run without oil pressure going to it, so leave that for now. At first it didn't sound like the clutch because they didn't go at the same time, but the hydraulic pump could have sucked oil for a little while and then got enough air to quit? You could try to intentionally grind the gears, just a little to see if it's turning in there? In this thread Arnstein had a disintegrated clutch disk.