Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best way to test hydraulic pump

Robd ยท 2013-06-14 13:49

I replaced my hydraulic steering orbital with a brand new one after struggling with reseal on old one. During that time I was trying to bleed air and the hydraulic pump was screaming but I was advise keep trying to get air out so I did. Finally replaced steering orbital because I figured I screwed something up. Put new one in and now basically no hydraulics work. Pump make very little noise bit every now and then grunts like it wants to work. I replaced suction lines 2 filters, checked and cleaned screens no debris. I think I might of fried the pump no fluid going through just builds are psi. The transmission works because separate internally pump. It's a 14000 lbs international industrial. I don't own any gauges

Replies15
  1. #1BillG2013-06-14 17:59

    Pumps are rated in cubic inches per revolution (or their metric counterpart) at a particular pressure. An example would be .5 cubic inches per revolution at 1800 rpm which equals 900 cubic inches per minute divided by 231 (cubic inches in a gallon) which equals 3.9 gpm. This would be at a rated pressure such as 2000 psi. It takes very simple tools to check this but you do need a pressure gauge, a way to restrict flow to a rated pressure and a way to accurately measure it (pretty easy with small flows). That said if your pump is producing no flow and you know it is turning and has oil at the inlet, it is pretty obvious that the pump is bad. Is your pump a double pump (two pumps mechanically connected), or a single pump with a priority valve (priority to steering) or a pump with a flow divider (external to the pump), or separate pumps for different functions?

  2. #2Wick2013-06-14 23:23

    Sounds like the pump has lost prime, check there is plenty of oil in the reservoir then loosen a fitting on the delivery line of the pump that supplies the steering, don't take it right off, just loosen it, then start the engine but be ready to stop the engine as it may prime quickly, after it primes tighten the fitting and you should be good to go.

  3. #3EDGLimited2013-06-15 07:11

    The easiest way to tell if you've fried your pump is to start up the system from cold and then let it run for 5 mins. If you can grab the pump and burn your hand, consider it cooked. Is the tap turned (back on) to the on position on the hyd tank.????? Were the filters primed as well before installation.???

  4. #4Robd2013-06-15 10:28

    Single pump with hose branched off to backhoe and other hose going to power beyond. No solid flow just a lot off air and fluid spitting out. Resvr is full screen not plugged.

  5. #5Robd2013-06-15 10:30

    Loosened line to steering off of pump just an awful lot of air and fluid spitting. Pump not making much noise.

  6. #6Robd2013-06-15 10:32

    Filters were primed, no tap at Resvr,let it run 5 min pump cool as the air

  7. #7Delmer2013-06-15 20:28

    If it's blowing air then its obviously sucking air pretty good (or bad?). You just have to figure out where the air is coming from.

  8. #8Robd2013-06-15 21:18

    If the pumps bad would it still be able to pump and spit air. I tried the shaving cream trick around all the suction hoses and resivoir seals and was ok.

  9. #9Wick2013-06-15 21:32

    How long did you let it run? it may take a couple of minutes as the pump has to draw the air out of the suction lines to achieve full prime, oil spitting and air indicates the pump is pumping but hasn't quite achieved full prime, try again loosening both delivery lines at the pump, if this fails you have a air leak in the suction somewhere.

  10. #10Robd2013-06-15 21:52

    It ran about 2 -3 minutes with line off..then after I reconnected the line I ran it about 10 min. I'll try again with both line loose on pressure side and let you know.. I thank everyone for the input.

  11. #11EDGLimited2013-06-15 23:32

    This might sound stupid, but it has happened. You said you replaced the pump, have you sat the old and the new one side by side and measured the actual spline drive. Are they the same length.??? Some pumps also have a tang sleeve which slides over the spline drive and mates with the actual drive motor, did you replace the sleeve or maybe it's still lying on the bench.???

  12. #12Robd2013-06-16 05:19

    Sorry but pump was not replaced steering orbital was

  13. #13Tinkerer2013-06-16 06:25

    Pumps cannot create air in a system. Hydraulic lines are notorious for cracking and getting tiny holes rubbed into them . With the engine off you could try pressurizing the system with an air compressor. 5 to 10 lbs. ,no more then that.

  14. #14Robd2013-06-16 19:21

    I pulled pressure line completely off and let her run alot of fluid was spitting out but never got full prime....did the shaving cream trick to find where it is sucking are and found side filter gasket leaking. Replaced it and fluid was pumping great at low idle. I ran all implements just fine very little noise at low idle. When I run it at high throttle it gets slow and noisey

  15. #15Robd2013-06-22 23:49

    H Thank you so much to all of you for helping me. Today I was able to get it working 100%. It was just air trapped in the system I disconnected a few line and was able to get the air out. Thanks again