Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

410G Engine start

tuney443 ยท 2014-12-16 10:57

Looking for some advise from a crackerjack JD mechanic here please. Yesterday my 2003 410G hoe started for maybe 5 seconds,then died suddenly.Never did this before. Temp.was only at 35*,cranked over as always very fast,fuel filter just changed out 50 hours ago,full tank of diesel,treated as always with my Schaeffer Winter Fuel Treat.Checked for water at the filter drain-nothing,filter was tight,no visible weeping leaks,and had the rig running on Friday.After I checked everything out for the most obvious,for laughs and giggles I gave a quick ether shot from the factory installed in line system.Popped right off and stayed running fine.Shut it off a few times,started up fine without ether.Unless it's like 0* or colder,I have never needed ether to cold start.Machine has only 3600 hours with an excellent PM program. Possible hiccup or anything I should check out? I was also wondering exactly where this mysterious fuse is for the fuel solenoid that both the Owner's and Tech manuals mention in the troubleshooting section for future problems? I must have got the top moron at Jesco yesterday when I went into semi panic mode.This idiot is spewing generalized cold weather diesel starting woes/scenarios after I told him TWICE I was only looking for SPECIFIC info on MY rig,such as a computer,electric,or known fuel problem SPECIFIC to the 410G.He then told me my compression might be weak at those hours after which I told him if Deere can't figure out how to hold compression at that low an hour,I was going to switch allegiance after some 31 years or so. Thx

Replies13
  1. #1Delmer2014-12-16 12:20

    That's way beyond my knowledge, but out of curiosity, are you saying that it died after running five seconds, and then cranked fine but wouldn't fire until you used the ether? or didn't you try to start it after it died and before using the ether?

  2. #2tuney4432014-12-16 14:57

    Yes,would only restart with a quick shot of either.

  3. #3tuney4432014-12-16 15:00

    Same thing just happened 5 minutes ago.Seems like no fuel is present on start up.Fuel injection solenoid? Starting to get real concerned now.

  4. #4tuney4432014-12-17 01:15

    Where are all the Deere mechanics here?

  5. #5Mobiltech2014-12-17 08:06

    Well the fact that it starts and stays running after a shot of ether makes it less likely that it's a shutoff solenoid problem but does not rule it out completely. If it only does it after sitting a while I would say it's got an air leak somewhere in the transfer pump lines or an intermittent blockage of the suction line to the tank.

  6. #6Deon2014-12-18 07:02

    I had a similar problem with my 310D. It would start and then stop after a few seconds. Then by cranking a while it would restart but serge up and down for a bit then run perfectly. It was caused by a leak in the steel line between the filter and the injection pump. There are small steel straps that wrap around the line that are bolted to the side of the engine. The vibration caused the steel to wear through and cause a leak. Hard to see but some fuel was leaking out so I could find the leak. I just cut the section off and replaced with rubber fuel line and hose clamps.

  7. #7tuney4432014-12-18 08:15

    Thanks guys,but that's one of the first things I looked at.Engine by all fuel lines/filter is dry.Being it's a pressure system,if there was a leak I should be seeing something.

  8. #8cutting edge2014-12-18 08:54

    Jeez....calm down! There is a check valve in the return line fitting on the injection pump.It probably has a little crud or ice in it.

  9. #9tuney4432014-12-19 04:06

    Thanks cutting edge,will check that out.For the record,I'm as calm as the next hypocondriac.This is my baby,stuff like this isn't supposed to happen to her.lol

  10. #10hookedondiesel2014-12-19 05:45

    Sounds like it's pulling air in somewhere, since you've already checked all pressurized lines, start checking unpressurized one's. return line etc, when its asking for fuel after sitting for long periods, it's pulling in air also, your ether gets it going and then diesel flow is returned, think of it this way, a jet pump (water) needs to be primed when new because it can't pull water if it's not, once running, add a "little" air while running and you may just get away with it not shutting down water flow. Let it sit and eventually, it will have to be re-primed. This, I believe is whats happening in your case, an air intrusion somewhere that has now gotten worse,eventually you will most likely need to "ether" your starts because of lost prime. Something to think about, anyways.

  11. #11Mobiltech2014-12-19 22:13

    You won't see a leak on the suction lines. They draw air in and bleed fuel back to the tank. The return line check valve is a good place to check too.

  12. #12jd310e2014-12-21 16:31

    make a test. introduces air into the tank with a hose with a compressor. keep it to send the diesel. while you turn it on, keep it a while and then remove the hose from the compressor. turns off?

  13. #13tuney4432014-12-24 11:32

    Found the problem.Both fittings coming and leaving on the injection pump must have vibrated loose.Took apart the check valve for good measure,all clean.Thanks guys and Merry Christmas,happy holidays,etc.,etc.