I have a 416 series 2 and it has a very noisy pump when using hydraulics, the loader wont even pick up the nose when the rear stabilizers are down. hoe works but slow and weak, I was told it needs a pump but I wanted to pick some brains to see if there are any other things that could cause this any inputs are appreciated. Thank You
I am not too familiar with the series II machines. I think that they are closed center, load sensing hydraulics system equipped (like the B through current models). If so, there may be a lot of things that could cause this. Maybe too many to delve into here. I suggest that you have your local Cat dealer come out and test the machine. Yes, you may find someone on this forum who can help lead you to something but ultimately you will probably need flow meters and pressure testers. Once you test item "A" you will then have to check item "B", "C", and "D", and so on. It may be very cumbersome. A qualified mechanic may get you answers in a couple hours.
Generic advice, not cat specific: You can check the drive coupler for looseness, slipping under load, pieces falling out, etc. Check charge pressure? (if there IS a charge pump) or suction air leak on the suction side of the pump. But we should back up a little first, how long have you had the machine? how long has it done this? does it do this all the time? or when the machine gets hot? or when the machine is cold? have you checked the fluid level? and cut open a filter to check for debris?
Most likely does since you say "noise". They do rely on a signal to stroke the pump up when you want to work but if that is wrong mostly useing another circuit will bring it to life. If the pump is worn/leaking internally it will get hotter than normal when working. Later Bob
Ihave had it for a few months, I was told the pump was bad , but I am not fully confident with the answer I am not as familiar with the CAT type of hydraulics ,I am more used to the older gear type . CAT claimed the pump is "Making metal", When I removed it I could not really see shavings in the oil. I have not checked the screen yet, I believe it is in the tank, I did not see one under the machine anywhere.When removing the pump I did see where it looks like someone has been in it in the past. I just was trying to get some feed back on other possibilities before spending 1200 bucks on a reman CAT pump. Or is there a better option as far as a pump? I have seen online sites offer a new aftermarket pump for a little less, but dont know about that, Are these pumps built for CAT by Vickers? Thank You
If the series II is similar to my 416C the hydraulic filter is accessed from th ebottom of the machine. It is located at the back on the driver's side-inside the frame by the back tire. Removing it and cutting it open should reveal metal if the pump is producing it. If there has been previous oil samples this can be revealed here too. If it is at the catastrauphic point (the pump) then a new sample will show very high wear metals in the hydraulic oil. Disclosing hours on the machine, and serial number may help others help you also. You have not addressed all of Delmer's questions either. Some are obviously simple but important. If the pump is getting the oil it needs checking flow and pressure is the only sure way to know if the pump is working correctly (IMO). If the pump is starving for oil it will make a lot of noise and the hydraulics will not work right (sound familiar?). The pump does not like to run without oil and will fail if run that way long enough. As I'm sure you are aware, the hydraulic oil lubes the pump as it passes through.
It sounds like you took the pump somewhere to have it tested? was this a Cat dealer? You wouldn't see any metal in the oil, it would show up in the filter, or if you put a magnet into the tank or on the drain plug. It MAY be possible the metal is coming from somewhere besides the pump.
Machine has 10000 hrs on it, the only filter I found under machine is the trans filter I believe, I did not find a filter in the back where the hydraulic filter normally is on the c or d model. The slowness of hydraulics and the noise is always there. Fluid level was full.Hot or cold. Coupler has a few cracks, but was still intact, it will be replaced . I dont see a charge pump, and there was plenty of oil at the inlet to the pump.I dont know if I should take this pump apart to inspect or not I have had gear types apart , but not a swash plate type.
Where about in KY? I know a guy in E-town that is a cracker jack heavy equipment mechanic , he'd be a good one to talk to.
This was a CAT dealer before I bought it, I got it for a great price so it was worth it. I just did not know if there were other components that can cause this problem, although the fact that it is weak and noisy is telling.
The hydraulic tank is in the front if i remember right and I think if you take off the side shields it may be a 4 bolt pattern with the filter being in under that , but its been a while since we had our A model 416. They're good tractors.
Cave City, About 40 minutes from e-town
It has a 4 bolt plate in the bottom of tank and one at the top too.
Just sent some info via email. I am pretty sure the filter is in one of those . Can you post a pic of both plates?
One thing you can do is go to Whayne.com and register for the parts store. That will show you about everything you need to know.
How would one upload pictures on this site?