I am working on Lucas CAV fuel pump. When I purchased the tractor- a Long 310- it had a minor, ie one drop or so every five minutes from what appeared to be the side cover gasket. I purchased a replacement top cover and side cover gasket, and things just got worse. I then used The Pump Guy SC- Mr. Hale as my source for a new style side cover and a pair of top cover gaskets, as I'd seen earlier he recommended two gaskets as one tends to leak. I just now got around to doing anything with it, as work on the farm hadn't given me any free time, and I had two other tractors to use. Well, I need to use it, now, and I am screwed. Here is what I have done: The top cover had a low spot on it, so I used my surface plates and then a surface grinder to surface it. Using a surface gauge and also a dial indicator, the entire cover is now flat, the low spot is gone. I then stacked two top cover gaskets, reassembled the spring on the cover, put in the fuel shutoff rod, and after running the tractor promptly discovered my leak was still there. Oddly, the leak only appeared once I had opened up the fuel flow from the tank. After looking at it, I realized that it was leaking from the lower side of the cover, at the corner where the shutoff rod goes, and then at the middle of the cover on that lower side. I have not used any kind of sealant, and I am sure the top cover is the source of the leak I have. Anyone have any advice on how to proceed without sending the pump out for a complete rebuild ? The tractor runs great even with the leak, the pump works fine, it's just the dawggone top cover is leaking. Thank you. Side note: I had a bunch of crap happen on my farm when I got the gaskets and I was slow(took me two weeks) to pay Mr. Hale, for which he was very understanding and for which I am eternally grateful. In my opinion if you need parts or need a pump rebuilt, he is the only place I'd send it. Thank you ThePumpGuySC !
I would go back to a single gasket. Clean it all up with some brake cleaner. All nice & dry, re-install with a smear of 515 on each side of the gasket.
Funny thing about those top covers..the more you tighten the nuts the more it will leak..it actually "bows" the center.. if it helps, the torque on the nuts is 60 in/lbs.. Like ALRMAN said..go back to 1 and see what happens..all you can do is try..
I screwed myself over worse this time. The throttle shaft seals are now leaking. Still working on this, feeling like an idiot.
I have posted the part # of the orings somewhere on this board or you can buy a gasket kit for $20.00 and some change from your local injection shop..P# 7135-110 If it started leaking at the "side cover" then moved to the "top cover" and now its leaking at the "thottle shaft" ITS TIME for a KIT.