Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

416C Thermostat housing leak

AllDodge ยท 2017-09-15 09:51

Noticed a leak some time back and it was red so figured it was steering cylinder leak. Later looking closer tis is a new leak and its antifreeze (go figure its also red). Found the location and its the gasket between the head and thermostat housing. Would guess this is a paper type gasket and wonder why it would leak in that location. I have hardly ever seen a leak between two cast iron items unless blots loosen up and they look tight (I know looks can be deceiving). Looking at SIS (serial number in Sig) , also having an issue finding the correct gasket

Replies23
  1. #1Tinkerer2017-09-15 13:23

    Maybe a defective gasket. Try loosening the bolts a little bit and re-torque them ? Release any pressure in the system fist.

  2. #2AllDodge2017-09-15 17:27

    Could give that a try, unit only has about 4000 hours on it

  3. #3Cmark2017-09-15 21:48

    The gasket is 6I-0453.

  4. #4AllDodge2017-09-15 22:01

    Cool, many thanks

  5. #5Dickjr.2017-09-15 23:22

    That looks different from mine , maybe the angle. My thermostat housing is below the top radiator hose. I replaced the housing and the gasket was an o ring. It came as a kit. More pics if you can.

  6. #6AllDodge2017-09-16 07:42

    Will get another pic but the top rad hose is just above the housing in the pic

  7. #7AllDodge2017-09-16 18:02

    A bit uncertain about the gasket part number 6I-0453. Went to SIS and entered s/n and searched for the part and nothing came back. Put in regulator and found the housing and also notice two different O-ring gaskets. My housing has 5 bolts with 10MM heads. Looking up the gasket I found a pic on ebay, and the bolt patten doesn't look like the housing. My as-built engine arrangement according to CAT (have not look on the machine) is 158-6065 That said SIS does not list my arrangement number, hence while I'm unsure about the seal/gasket

  8. #8AllDodge2017-09-16 18:26

    More info shows one of the gaskets have been replaced in pic 2, others are in different locations. Could take the housing off and then take the seal in, or contact CAT but would like to figure it out before doing anything

  9. #9Cmark2017-09-17 00:55

    My mistake, must have put the serial number in wrong. If your engine is original, it should have the serial number of 7BJ19464. This means it has either the 1711076 housing and 1724844 seal (type 1) OR the 2346862 housing and 2346861 seal (type 2). However the type 2 part numbers are direct updates from the type 1 numbers. This suggests some kind of improvement in the type 2 arrangement, so you should probably anticipate having to buy a new type 2 housing and seal when you take it apart.

  10. #10AllDodge2017-09-17 07:28

    Well crud, had a feeling I was going to run into something like that

  11. #11Dickjr.2017-09-17 20:13

    I was told the upper hose adapter would crack because it is some sort of plastic. I replaced mine and it still leaked. Found the leak in the front cover. You might luck out and replace the housing. The kit I got had everything in it , adapter , thermostat , all seals.

  12. #12AllDodge2017-09-17 20:19

    Thanks for the heads up. Did some dozing and then used the 416 in some clean up, dumped some water in the rad to keep it going. Once done it a few days with the work I'll pull it apart and get some parts

  13. #13Dickjr.2017-09-17 20:56

    Mine was leaking between the block and the front cover adapter plate. Right behind the injection pump. It leaked real slow I added a couple gallons over a years time. It finally pushed the gasket out , you could see bits of gasket material. I , in a pinch got the bright idea to get some bars stop leak and try it. It stopped the leak for about 2 weeks then let loose again. Spray was like poking a pin hole in a plastic bottle and squeezing it hard. I like my 416 , got a 420F2 rented now. Its ok except the front bucket. You can't see it. I'd follow your plan , remove all those housing and reseal the observe.

  14. #14AllDodge2017-10-11 10:28

    Pulled the thermostat housing and its a composite material. Have pics and will post later, the cable isn't connecting right now. It does use an O-ring, so I'm debating on whether to use some king of gasket sealer or not. Have silicone and marine bellows adhesive and permatex high tack

  15. #15AllDodge2017-10-11 13:02

    Removed and found some rust, O-ring was hard. Used silicone and will see if it leaks

  16. #16AllDodge2017-10-11 13:03

    Used some silicone, sanded block surface and cleaned up housing

  17. #17Billrog2017-10-11 15:41

    Looks good should work just fine.

  18. #18oilslick2017-10-17 21:13

    I am heading down the same road, front cover gasket! Any pointers for me before I tear it down. I resealed everything easy and I still get coolant trickling down by inj pump.

  19. #19Dickjr.2017-10-23 14:17

    oilslick , I took my tractor to a shop. I do most small repairs myself , but this one gets pretty involved. I was told its a 15 to 16 hour job. If you have the time and a good manual might not be a problem.

  20. #20Dickjr.2017-10-24 15:36

    Alldodge did you ever get your problem resolved?

  21. #21AllDodge2017-10-24 16:30

    Sure did, it sealed right up and no issues. Still need to get the bucket fixed but that is another thread

  22. #22Dickjr.2017-10-24 19:13

    I will get my 416 back tomorrow. They had to remove the entire front cowl , the radiator and coolers to get the front cover off. It was a 1800 dollar repair. But it had to be. My tractor is in the 6000 hr range , still runs and digs well.

  23. #23AllDodge2017-10-24 19:20

    Wonder why they had to remove all that. Guess they did need to, never heard them doing excess work, but I can get to the injection pump easy enough. At their rates it really doesn't take long to eat up 1800 Thought about having them fix my slight steering cylinder oil leak, but figure it would be over 2K to fix, and hyd oil is not that expensive