Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

420ct series 3 low power

Rogerdoger · 2021-11-16 14:44

Hello I have a 2008 case 420ct series 3, I have only had it for a few months and have noticed that it’s lacking on power. When I am tracking I loose power if I raise my bucket or tilt the bucket. If I stop moving the engine builds Rpms and I get my power back. Also it’s very noticeable tracking up a hill in low speed or high speed I loose power. Any ideas?

Replies8
  1. #1Aceofspades2021-11-16 18:45

    Hey man, saw that nobody had replied yet, so I thought i'd give your thread a bump, even though I don't have a lot to add. Does your machine indicate trouble codes?

  2. #2Rogerdoger2021-11-16 19:05

    Thanks responding. No codes and no lights nothing.

  3. #3alrman2021-11-16 23:59

    Welcome to HEF @Rogerdoger Sounds like you have a fuel issue. Wondering if the machine is blowing smoke when it dies down? (420 ser3 has EGR) If no smoke, first place to look is the in-line filter between the tank & lift pump. Check/replace the secondary filter on the engine too. You will need to prime the fuel system if you do this. If there is some trash in the in-line filter - drain some fuel out the bottom of the tank into a clean container & see what comes out. Also, be certain the air filter is clean.

  4. #4Rogerdoger2021-11-17 09:30

    Thanks for the ideas I will start looking into the fuel system when I get back In town.

  5. #5Aceofspades2021-11-18 22:22

    It definitely sounds like a fuel issue. I just fixed my case tr320 the other day. It had similar symptoms, but a little worse. The crankshaft speed sensor wire broke off at the sensor (luckily I had a code to go off of and it was a relatively simple easy fix, which is why I asked about codes.) In any event, good luck/ keep us posted. Keep the faith lol. I had to fix several things on my machine in short order after getting it, but that's the nature of buying a used machine. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel (I think lol).

  6. #6Rogerdoger2021-11-19 15:12

    I changed both fuel filters, still doing the same thing, there is no smoke when it bugs down ether. Where would the EGR be?

  7. #7Rogerdoger2021-11-19 15:43

    What are the changes that the fuel pump is weak? It is mechanical.

  8. #8Rogerdoger2021-12-03 07:51

    Still fighting this thing not sure what else I should do