Guys, I gotta rebuild the rear axle on a 420D due to serious metal/brake disc material contamination. I've already disassembled it 90% for damage inspection. Two questions: About how many hours to rebuild with all new bearings, discs, plates? Gears are fine. Is there any tips on removing the large ring gear from each axle housing so I can make sure it's thoroughly cleaned? I have a 20 ton shop press, and 55ton hollow center ram with puller rod. Any info would be appreciated.
i would leave it wear it is as it is pressed in and has to be pressed out
Yeah, that's what I figured. I pulled the races out of the axle housing today, hosed out all the metal from the insides, and cleaned out the center section too. I used my new shop press for the first time to remove bearings from the right planetary and axle shaft. Worked great! SIS calls for a bridge tool 1U-8814 to determine shim thickness behind the differential bearing race set in the inner brake housing. The tool costs $1072!! Didn't see one on eBay either. I talked to the local Cat dealer service manager but they weren't sure if they had it either, asked me to call them back in the morning. If they don't have it maybe I can figure out another way to determine the required shim thickness. Any ideas?