Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

420D Startup Fuel Issue

Long0 · 2023-05-03 22:45

Evening, Cat 420DIT / BLN05998 / 7400+/-hrs Im assuming I have a fuel issue at startup. Cold tractor immediately fires then stops running. Takes another 2-3 20sec cycles to fire again. Machine runs great after running. I bought the tractor 4 years ago. It had shy of 7k hrs when purchased. Its been used mainly for moving snow. Full fluid service upon my receipt. Latest record I find is oil/fuel/air change at 10/26/22 — 7243hrs. Problem became more evident throughout this winter. Longer and more cranking times to get running. I assumed bad lift pump and replaced the pump last weekend. After lift pump was installed ran fine. That was Sunday the 30th. went to start tonight and I still have the same issue. Leakdown somehow? Check valve at pump? Any help is appreciated Andy

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2023-05-04 00:11

    Does the circled filter have the optional water bowl on it?

  2. #2Long02023-05-04 22:40

    Water separator (no glass/plastic-it’s a sealed unit) as you indicate. Filter tractor north of that I believe.

  3. #3Long02023-06-09 23:00

    Replaced the water separator and that appears to have solved my issue. Ill report back in a couple months to verify Much appreciated.