Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

420e forks

lmm600 · 2021-01-17 15:58

Would anyone know what brands/kinds of forks will fit a 420e IT cat backhoe. Do I have to go with Cat or are there options?

Replies15
  1. #1lmm6002021-02-10 16:59

    Anyone? The Cat forks seem very expensive. Options.

  2. #2Tatersmt2021-02-10 20:39

    These are always an option. Clamp On Pallet Forks For Tractor & Skid Steer - Front End Loader Fork Attachment For Tractor Bucket (Harbor Freight & Free Shipping) Titan Attachments™

  3. #3Vetech632021-02-10 21:35

    Just don’t do this.

  4. #4heymccall2021-02-10 23:17

    Most, if not all, manufacturers offer Cat IT compatible forks. Used ones I seen on machinery trader start at $3700.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-02-11 08:10

    Depends on whether you can or want to do any modifications to get them them to fit . A quick Google search for used pallet forks brings up quite a few options. Both new and used. Here is one of them ↓↓↓ https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Forklift-Forks-000-Lbs/dp/B000N4M4AC

  6. #6lmm6002021-02-11 14:09

    I'm fairly sure Cat doesn't make theirs but maybe I'm wrong. Don't want weak, cheap ones. No problem paying for good product, just seems like $4k is a lot for what I am renting now from Cat. I guess good forks aren't cheap.

  7. #7Compression-Ignition2022-05-11 00:15

    THREAD RESURRECTION.... Can you name some of these manufacturers? My search skills are severely lacking in this realm.

  8. #8aighead2022-05-11 07:48

    If you aren't aiming for a quick disconnect and removal of your loader bucket it seems the consensus is over the bucket forks. I just bought the ones from Titan, where you weld hooks to the top of the loader bucket and flip a bar holding the forks up onto it. The hook placement is critical, which I didn't know, and there are no real installation instructions. You can, however, get lucky and they'll send you waaaay more parts than what you paid for and they don't want them back. You can see the conversation, from my perspective, on them here , as well as proper installation methods. I suggest the same thing for OP, I never saw that post... The clamp-ons are no good unless you are doing very specific work and you can see your targets easily. I managed to jam my clamp-on forks into the ground which proceeded to bend the thick part of the clamp making it pretty much impossible to clamp on anymore.

  9. #9heymccall2022-05-11 08:02

    Well, since it is an "I.T. " backhoe, the front bucket isn't pinned on. I grabbed this ad on machinery trader. Take note of the models listed. That should help you with searching, ie model name plus fork.

  10. #10aighead2022-05-11 12:13

    Nice, I didn't know what IT was. That's expensive but quick change is nice as is not having the bucket in your way.

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-05-11 12:21

    IT = Integrated Toolcarrier.

  12. #12lmm6002022-05-11 15:42

    I finally got Western States Cat to sell the rental unit for half new price. Seemed like a descent deal. Now I just cuss when I change from forks to multi purpose bucket and the horrid cat hydraulic couplers.

  13. #13Compression-Ignition2022-05-11 18:27

    What's horrid about it? I have a new to me 430F IT on the way, and I've only seen very brief videos and not very thorough descriptions of how the IT system operates.

  14. #14PDG X2022-05-15 10:28

    On the (420)E series and prior models, you need to relieve the pressure in the IT hydraulic lines BEFORE disconnecting, or reconnecting the couplers. To do this, turn the engine off, then turn the key on -but do not start the engine- And cycle the thumb roller or lever, AND rack the loader lever in all 4 directions - and you will see the linkage go limp. You can then disconnect the lines. If you don’t do this before disconnecting the lines will be pressurized and reconnecting them will be very difficult. After disconnecting the lines - Connect them together to keep one side from building pressure against a dead-ended cylinder. Then before trying to reconnect the lines, bleed the machine hydraulics like above while leaving the engine off while connecting. On D Series machines and before, make sure the valve on the loader arms is in the bucket operation direction while bleeding the pressure. I believe this was improved on F Series machines with a pressure dump valve like on skidsteers, but I don’t have one to verify it. Someone with an F may want to add to this.

  15. #15beamero2022-05-16 19:57

    I bought a set for my 420D 3 hours away for $1450. Found someone someone selling a cat backhoe and the person buying didn’t want the forks. Simply asked the guy directly about it on Facebook Marketplace. Found another pair on Craigslist for $2500. There are out there, just have to be patient.