Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

420E IT BackHoe Loader #KMW01023 Fuel Lift Pump Problem

LoneRider ยท 2024-09-21 18:10

420E IT BackHoe Loader #KMW01023 I'm having trouble with my lift pump. The pump, relay, and diodes have been tested and are working properly. Where I'm at now is I turn the key to the run position and the "org wire" only has 0.60 volts. Where should I look for the power source for this "org wire"? I'm assuming the orange wire should have a 12v in the run position?

Replies7
  1. #1Tyler d4c2024-09-21 18:23

    At x977 do you have power

  2. #2LoneRider2024-09-21 18:55

    To be exact, there is 0.01 volts on x977

  3. #3Nige2024-09-22 09:04

    I'll send you the complete electrical schematic. Check your message inbox. FYI the power on wire 307-OR comes from the FNR Shift Handle. As I see it the power to pull in the fuel pump relay comes via 307-EF40, through the diode to the realy coil via X977-EF57 & X977-EF54. Once the relay coil pulls in battery power from 123-EF18 goes via X977-EF56 and X977-EF8 to power up the fuel pump.

  4. #4LoneRider2024-09-22 13:39

    Nige, very helpful, thank you. With the key is in the run position 308-PL278 has power (12volts). With the shifter in the neutral position. Is there any reason I would not get power from 308-PL278 to 307-PL163?

  5. #5Nige2024-09-22 13:51

    That is expected. 308-PL278 is energized by turning the key switch to the ON position. That's why it's drawn blue on the schematic. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. I'm not familiar with the principles of operation of the FNR Shift Handle. You could try a couple of tests with the key ON. 1. Disconnect the power to the starter motor then turn the key to the START position. Does 307-PL163 power up.? 2. Supply power externally to 307-PL163 and see what happens as regards the presence of power at the lift pump.

  6. #6LoneRider2024-09-22 19:44

    I'm surprised, yes it powered up the lift pump. Yes, the lift pump powered up and started pumping. Thanks for the suggestion, that saved me time and a good chunk of cash. There is nothing to fix, it's not broke. So quick story time. I recently inherited this 420E IT. So I'm doing the maintenance, change, and check fluid levels. I changed the fuel filters I thought I read somewhere that you turn the key to run position for 3 minutes and the filters would prime and I would be good to go. The prime/lift pump would not power up when the key is in the run position. But now I understand that when I need to prime the fuel system, I need to bump the starter and don't start the engine, leave the key in RUN position, and wait 3 minutes for the filters to prime. Thanks Nige

  7. #7Nige2024-09-23 05:09

    Maybe the attached will shed some light. If you don't already have one I cannot recommend strongly enough that you get hold of an Operation & Maintenance Manual for the machine. An Adobe pdf copy can be downloaded from HERE . Put SEBU7687 in the box and click the Search button. The image below should appear. Downloads are available almost immediately once you have paid for them. A cheaper option for genuine OEM manuals is HERE but unfortunately they are only available in paper or CD formats. Add S&H charges to the prices shown.