I extended the boom all the way out and it locked up there. 2008 420e it does any one have any suggestions. Thanks harry
Well drag out the torches and open it up for a look-see! - Ok just kidding Cats are way too tough to slice up with torches! I have never heard of such a thing if everything is in normal mode. Does it act like it wants to move at all, or no movement whatsoever. No safety pins in that prevent retraction? Stick bent or jammed anywhere? Full of mud or clay? Lots of oil, etc. if you eliminate all of the above it must be something in the control valve, or some other thing that one of the wise ones on site may know about. I run one of these, and have never encountered such a problem so..:beatsme
I've had a few issues with the roller controls on the pilot handles. Generally, disconnecting the batteries, waiting 30 seconds, and reconnecting solved it. I believe it's a software issue causing certain switch functions to lock out. You need CAT ET to monitor/ verify switch status, and solenoid operation.
That's really good to know. I'll pass this on to our mechanics for their use if this ever occurs with one that we run. This company probably has 8 - 10 of the 420E's.
Thanks for all the response, when I extended the boom all the way out and try to pull it back in, I can see the hose move and it moves a hair but will not go, like it is hocked behind something. thanks harry
If you have the boom up, is the boom lock on? Later Bob
No it is the extend a boom that will not come back in Harry
If the hose is moving that sounds like you have hydraulic pressure. Have you tried angling the backhoe so that the weight of the bucket is on the ground (and so off the boom) and then attempt to retract the boom extension..? Do you have an excessive amount of up/down play in the sliding boom mechanism..?
Yes there Is hydraulic pressure. and there is not a lot of play, is it possible that the shims are to tight and jamming the boom extension when I try to pull it in. yes I did put bucket down and put pressure on it.
If it's easy enough to get at try unpinning one end of the cylinder that extends/retracts the hoe stick and (carefully with the engine at low idle speed) try moving the cylinder and couple of inches in each direction. If the cylinder moves freely then the obvious conclusion is that somewhere the extending stick itself is bound up.