Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b hydrostatic 3pt overheating

OFFTHEGRIDRANCH ยท 2013-04-15 01:49

New to the forum. I have been reading posts here for years, great site! Just put in a new water pump and thermostat in the Case 580b. Still overheats quite quickly but does not blow water, gauge climbs to red? I don't seem to be getting the water flow looking down in the radiator i remember from years past? No water in the oil. No oil in the radiator. But....But a few bubbles at the radiator neck, bummer! So im thinking it's the head gasket? Maybe i need to bleed the cooling system, small plug on top of the water pump?. The tractor has ran well the last 15 years with just filter and fluid changes and 1 set of new tires. And yes i do have the OEM service manual and parts manuals x2. Any thoughts? Thank you! If i need to do a complete rebuild i will,arg. From what i have read this old tractor is a can of worms! The 580b is part of the family! I have many other tractors new and old. CAT D24U, CAT D3B, CAT D45T, BOBCAT 331G, KUBOTA BX24 backhoe, CASE 580B hydrostatic 3pt.

Replies2
  1. #1OFFTHEGRIDRANCH2013-04-16 00:32

    Update..... I am not a very good DIY mechanic. The tractor is not running hot. The gauge or temp sender unit must be shot. Checking the block, head temperature with the laser temp gun, it ran at about 178-200 with a good load. Also after running for an hour after radiator flush....no more bubbles.

  2. #2Deon2013-04-16 06:32

    I have had to replace the temp sensor on my 1992 JD for the same reason. The dealer called it a temperature switch. It screws into the back end of the cylinder head.