Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

420E Water Pump Replacement

radarcat · 2022-10-11 23:15

For pump replacement, the manual says to remove the fan and fan pulley because of bolts under the pulley. The diagram in the manual does not show the radiator when removing the fan which would make the process easy. Does anyone know if the fan can be removed with the radiator in place? If so, how?

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2022-10-12 09:14

    Do you have a Serial Number and are you using a factory manual.? If so which one.? There are a dozen different models of 420E and different information exists for the water pump removal procedure depending on which one you look at.

  2. #2radarcat2022-10-12 22:19

    SN = KMW00817 These are CAT manuals. I was looking in the wrong section for my serial. I found another section RENR6487-04 page 14 for my serial that indicates that the pump bolts can be removed without removing the fan. From my examination with a snake camera, there are bolts under the fan pulley. Any assistance much appreciated.

  3. #3Nige2022-10-13 13:56

    I found two other procedures, SENR5069 & RENR2811. Both of them call for the fan to be removed before removing the water pump. The two procedures mentioned above, and also RENR6487, are ALL listed as being applicable to your Serial Number. Quite why this is I have no idea.

  4. #4radarcat2022-10-13 21:05

    Thanks Nige for the docs. I am going to pull the shroud back and try to access the fan bolts.