Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

442 engine heater

cdm123 ยท 2014-12-07 18:49

Hi all I have a Ingersoll Rand zx 75 (same as a Bobcat 442) my problem is the Deutze oil cooled engine and cold starting. I have added a electric oil heater to the hyd oil tank as the starter must spin the pumps as it turns the engine and would do the same on the diesel but the pan is like a waffle any one out there find a working solution?

Replies15
  1. #1Mobiltech2014-12-07 21:08

    So you don't think the glue on arctic fox heating pads would work? With enough silicone to fill the gaps I thought it would.

  2. #2cdm1232014-12-08 00:38

    the longest flat spot would be about an inch and a half long then a quarter inch height change. I have some heaters that are 360 watts but approximately 2'' by 14". I tried to pack a bunch of foam under to hold them in place while the silicone cured but was un happy with the contact, only half the area was on the pan and I think they will burn out.

  3. #3bigsmoke2014-12-31 13:26

    Ever tried a magnetic oil pan heater?

  4. #4cdm1232014-12-31 15:11

    Yes but they don't stick to aluminum very well

  5. #5Yellowdog2014-12-31 16:17

    Maybe I'm way off but what about an infrared poultry light pointed at the pan? They don't like moisture but will warm a surface. I use them to keep my spray pump from freezing but we do not have the cold like you do.. not even close.

  6. #6cdm1232014-12-31 16:56

    Does any one here have any experience with the diesel fired bunk heaters the long haul truckers use?

  7. #7DoyleX2015-01-01 10:08

    The webasto works with coolant. You have oil. Id use a heat lamp if the arctic fox heaters wont work. Or find a plug in the pan or tap it for a immersion heater.

  8. #8cdm1232015-01-01 11:05

    I was thinking of the ones that blow warm air.

  9. #9DoyleX2015-01-01 21:15

    Those things are big. That mini has 10lbs of crap in a 2lb bag anyway. Get a heat gun and then send me the other $679 you would have spent!

  10. #10cdm1232015-01-01 21:32

    I was looking at the fact that it wouldn't need to be plugged in, so far the best idea has been stuff a battery blanket under it, likely the cheapest too. Too bad the manufacturer never thought that it gets cold in other parts of the world lol.

  11. #11Delmer2015-01-01 21:53

    Is there any room on the block to glue a heater? How about gluing the heater to a piece of 1/8" aluminum and siliconing the aluminum to some part of the block. What do you have to lose if they do burn out?

  12. #12Shimmy12015-01-01 21:53

    Never mind. I obviously need to pay attention too. How about a dipstick heater? Only thing you have to remember is they have to be plugged in when the oil is hot, or it could burn out. Can't use it with a plastic tube though.

  13. #13cdm1232015-01-01 22:51

    Any idea what wattage they come in?

  14. #14Shimmy12015-01-01 22:53

    90 watts I believe? Just type "dipstick heater" on google and you're home free. (Kinda)

  15. #15cdm1232015-01-01 23:01

    Thanks I will take a look tomorow