Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

444h dies when hydraulics are used

DannyG1970 · 2025-02-10 15:12

1999 444h jd loader I'm still learning on heavy equipment and I need some help. The loader loses rpm's and eventually dies when I use the hydraulics. If I put it in neutral and Rev up hydraulics are OK but at an idle any hydraulics use and the rpm will drop and then stall the engine I've changed both fuel filters and air filter

Replies13
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-02-10 16:55

    Whats the monitor showing for engine rpm ? 444H , At idle should be 900 ± 25 rpm. High idle is 2350 ± 25 rpm.

  2. #2DannyG19702025-02-10 17:13

    It also Idle is around 750 High idle around 2700 It was running fine then idle all of a sudden dropped from 850 now when I floor it from idle (no load at all) it has an extra long lag before the turbo kicks in

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-02-11 00:02

    Fuel transfer pump supplying lots of fuel ? IIRC , normal fuel transfer pump pressure is 4-5 psi.

  4. #4DannyG19702025-02-11 06:56

    Are you referring to lift pump?

  5. #5Diesel Dave2025-02-11 08:31

    Yes

  6. #6DannyG19702025-02-11 08:35

    I will give it check and see what I got

  7. #7DannyG19702025-02-14 12:14

    I got it figured out it was the turbo

  8. #8Diesel Dave2025-02-14 12:41

    Black smoking like crazy ? While the wrenches are out you may want to consider turning down the high idle rpm closer to spec.

  9. #9DannyG19702025-02-14 13:13

    It wasn't smoking but oil was dripping from the exhaust it was burning oil and I could see contact between the fins and the housing. And I will definitely adjust the idle thank u for your assistance

  10. #10HDM Apprentice2025-02-14 16:47

    Replaced an intake manifold pressure sensor, and temp sensor the other day on an excavator- the turbo wasnt kicking in to keep up with the Hyd demand and would stall as soon as id get it close to 4500+psi on either p1 or p2. First checked for fuel from pump- checked ok. Funny it was the turbo here too!

  11. #11DannyG19702025-02-18 13:44

    I jumped the gun saying it was the turbo. I replaced it and I'm still having the same issue. The turbo was bad for sure. It's idling around 600 do I adjust by the throttle cable.

  12. #12Diesel Dave2025-02-19 23:41

    Low idle speed adjustment screw is highlited in the screenshot below. .

  13. #13DannyG19702025-02-24 13:08

    Thank u very much