I just bought 2 new rear 14.9x24 tires. I was able to get the old one of using big pry bars. But not able to get the new one on the rim. So I ordered 2 ken tool 37" mounting bars. I'm using dawn as lube. Any tricks?????
Work the bead down into the off set and it gives you enough clearance to slip it on. Some can be a pain but most of the time less than 5 min to mount a tire on a rim. Is it a tube tire or tubeless ?.
Go by your local tire place and buy or steal some real tire mounting lube.
Is the wheel still on the machine. Lots easier to mount when the machine is holding the wheel still. As stated make sure the tires bead is in the deeper recess of the rim as you go around. Also sometimes the rim is only recessed on one side so be sure to mount from the side where the recess is closest to the rim edge.
Mitch.... you said steal? Thats not what its called this day and age. Its called undocumented shopping!!! Get it together man!!
Probably not going to happen in Maine in December, but a tire left out in the sun for couple of hours is a lot easier to install. Take it in the house and put it in front of the wood stove???? Ice cold sidewalls are not any fun.
Two or three pairs of vise grips on the rim edge to hold your progress in place while working it on can save a lot of time and frustration.
Sounds like you are an expert.
I've found tires are easier to remove and mount when warm...a real pain when cold. Not only more pliable but also more expanded when warm. Use plenty of soap, and two or three pry bars working around and it will come right off.
Tubless
The rim and tire are in a heated garage....gotta keep the tire warm
Got lube and my bars today... Easy each bead took 5 min give or take
Grandpa and I just have to know...did you buy the lube or get it by "undocumented shopping"?
You should try a mount and dismount again and try to beat your time, no sense in letting those irons get rusty with a nice warm shop and it being cold outside!!.