Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4500 TLB shuttle sift problems

jay bridwell ยท 2017-12-12 21:59

Hi all, first time on your forum so on a learning curve. Question is on 1972 ford 4500 tranny, shuttle shift. When tranny fluid level gets a little low it will not shift into forward or reverse (shifter jambs up tight). Weird thing is when I add fluid it will start shifting again but if I add too much fluid it will jamb up again. Have searched my manuals and they say to fill to level of plug on side of tranny. I can not find plug anywhere so when I add fluid I look down into fill plug hole until I see the fluid circulating. Not the correct way but only way I have found. Thinking of making a dip stick. I have noticed fluid showing up under tranny but usually only while using (does not seem to leak much when sitting). Have disassembled front end back to engine and am considering pulling engine and tranny if need be. Have repaired or replaced all the components on front axle, steering and hydraulics. Sanding and painting with "Majic" paint from TRC.as I go. Would appreciate any advice on what to be looking for in regards to tranny and hope I am not getting in over my head. Thanks, Jay.

Replies4
  1. #1Check Break2017-12-15 22:29

    Do you see a pipe plug on the right side of your transmission just above the running board towards the rear of the case. Remove the plug and drain/fill the transmission to this level. The later TC shuttle transmissions came with a dip stick in the fill plug on the top of the transmission. Much easier way to check the fluid. There is a plate under the bellhousing. You might remove it and take a look inside to see if you can see any leaks. If you want to go further, you can remove your steering box and look down from the top. There's a couple places that could be leaking. If your TC is leaking at the pump seal, you'll have to split the tractor to make the repair.

  2. #2jay bridwell2017-12-16 20:02

    Thanks for replying back. There is a running board on right but not on left. Always wondered why because it doesn't get used anyway. Have thought about taking it off but not sure if it is serving some other purpose. Anyway, it was below freezing today but will get up to 45 tomorrow and I will look again for plug. How would I determine if it is leaking at the pump seal? When you say remove steering box are you referring to the cover plate where the large fill plug is? Thanks again. Am still learning my way around this site.

  3. #3Check Break2017-12-17 00:30

    The left running board was at the same elevation as the one on the right before someone removed it. There is a seal between the TC and front pump, referred as the input shaft seal. That seal can leak for a number of reasons, none of which are good. You will be able to see the leak through the inspection plate under the bellhousing. If something else is leaking, and you can't see itt from underneath, you may be able to see it from above. Removing the steering box exposes a larger access port in the top of the bellhousing. If you decide to do this, I'd suggest removing the steering box, fuel tank and sheet metal as one unit. Much easier and faster than taking everything apart piece by piece. This link will take you to messicks.com. http://www.messicks.com/nhc/85073 Click on Transmission and then on Torque Converter - Transmission Case & Related Parts. This will show you the plug, part no. 7. Part no. 3 is the bottom inspection cover and just below part no. 30 you'll see the access port throught the top of the case that the steering box covers. Next, click on Torque Converter - Oil Distributor, Oil Pump & Related Parts. Part No. 55 is the input shaft seal. These parts diagrams will give you some idea of what you are looking at / looking for. A repair manual in conjunction with these parts diagrams will help you a lot. There's quite a few manuals on ebay, original and reprints. Here's an example of a reprint. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...al.TRS0&_nkw=ford+4500+repair+manual&_sacat=0

  4. #4Check Break2017-12-17 00:32

    The previous ebay link shows multiple manuals. Here's one which is a reprint. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-3400-...361282&hash=item2a475f158c:g:fXkAAOSwAF5UZpQm