Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

450c Lift Cylinder Question / Brake Adjustments

Mopar4ya ยท 2012-11-23 19:29

Hi, I'm new to the dozer world and just picked up a 1977 JD 450C. I have a blade lift cylinder that needs repaired. How do you go about removing the pin at the rear of the cylinder? Will I need to drill and tap the pin, or is there a puller made to do this. Some of the pin's on this machine are drilled and threaded, the pin I need out is not. Also, can anyone give me a plat by play on adjusting the steering brakes. Thanks! Dan.

Replies4
  1. #1Curbster2012-11-24 01:34

    Good looking little machine! I spent many long hours up in the mountains on one of those plowing snow and hauling logs and firewood. They are real work horses and great on fuel. (keep the fuel clean and free of water!) If you go to this site and enter your query - 450C lift cylinder quite a few hits come up. Lots of JD experts on it. Join the forum and ask. Lots of pics etc. gotta look. Good Luck http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/search.php?mode=results

  2. #2tuney4432012-11-24 09:47

    Are you referring to the hold down pivot pin? If so,I think I see an external holed snap ring in your pic.Just remove and beat the pin out.I'll check on my 450D to clarify.

  3. #3Mopar4ya2012-11-24 16:41

    Curbster, I asked this question on the JD site a couple weeks back, I didn't get any replies... Will try it again. Thanks! Dan

  4. #4Mopar4ya2012-11-24 16:48

    tuney, I'm not sure the correct name for this, but it is the pivot pin at the rear of the cylinder, just below the front ROP bar. There is no snap ring. The pin is cross drilled with a roll pin on each end of the pin to keep it from working out. You can not drive this pin out, as it is only about a 1/2 inch from the main frame. The only way to remove this pin is to pull it out. Just need to know the tricks to do this. Thanks! Dan