Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

480 E Fuel issues

deeredriver ยท 2009-08-13 19:40

Im having problems with a case 480 E starting. Every 2-3 times i try to start it, it will not run till i open up the fitting on top of the fuel filter. Then some fuel squirts out and it will start. The fitting looks like a bolt, with a 11/16 head. I will try to get a pic. anyway, I think im getting air in the line some how. I changed the filter/gasket, and the fuel pump(not the main pump), but this did not help. Anyone ever have this problem before? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1willie592009-08-13 20:33

    The first think I'd check is the most simple; check or replace any rubber hoses between fuel tank and lift pump. A hose can develope cracks or pinholes that can suck air yet not let fuel leak when engine not running.

  2. #2Phil2009-08-14 07:12

    Suction leaks have caused a lot of grief. Next time it won't start, leave the fuel filter bolt or bleed screw alone and loosen the fuel tank cap. Here are a couple of other things to check out also. Are there 1 or 2 fuel filters on your Cummins, I thought they had 2, did you replace both? Disconnect the supply line from the tank right at the transfer pump, fuel should pour out. I think it's all downhill from the tank but I'm not sure. Loosen the line supplying fuel from the final fuel filter to the injection pump and pump the transfer pump with the lever on the side, if it has one. You may have to turn the engine over slightly to move the cam lobe. If it does not have a lever then just crank the engine over and note if fuel comes out the line that has been loosened slightly. Disconnect the wire going to the fuel infection pump as a safety precaution while cranking the engine. Phil