Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580d smokes a little!!!!

unioncity1 ยท 2009-08-13 15:25

Hi guys, Me the pain the *** again. I have been working on this 580d for a few weeks now and have had several questions answered by you knowledgeable people which I GREATLY appreciate. Any way this leads me to my next question I just did a head gasket job on this P.O.S along with a lap job on the valves, New valve seals etc.. I did this job because when I bought it it was not running properly and I discovered that the rocker arm shafts were bent and 2 of the shaft mounts were broken. I pulled the head to try to determine if there was any other cylinder damage. Needless to say I found absolutely NO signs of damage, push rods were staight valves werent bent I could still see the cross hatch marks in the cylinder walls, there was no signs of scoring what so ever in the cylinders so I put it back together with new shafts and mounts and It runs great now lots of power revs right up no hestitations. However there is a consistant amount of blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I do not have much deisel experiance but to me it seems like unburned fuel the other thing I noticed is if you hold the rpms around 14-1700 the smoke clears up, again and indication to me that it is recieving too much fuel at idle, The last thing I'm noticing is as you hold it up in the rpm range I can hear what sounds to me like a slight misfire and when this happens i can see a little extra puff come out of the exhaust My automotive backround would lead me to an ignition misfire However this machine really has no ignition system Im kind of at a loss as to what could cause this and is this the reason for smoke? For some reason I want to go to the injectors but I see some adjustments on the injectors, Can I make an adjustment on the injectors, and finally do you guys think its possible that I have a dripping injector and if so what can I do to correct it.

Replies13
  1. #1Phil2009-08-13 16:55

    Gee Unioncity, seemed to me we just covered this. Why don't you just take your injectors in and have then tested. That might not be the problem but it's a good starting point, assuming you've checked out everything else we mentioned. Phil

  2. #2unioncity12009-08-13 18:21

    I know Phil Im sorry its just I cant find anywhere to take the injectors to so I can have them tested, so Ill have to buy new ones I am just hesitant to spend the 600 bucks without being able to prove them bad. I dont want to throw the parts at it and still have it smoke. Im sorry if Im making u angry I assure you thats not my intention.

  3. #3OneWelder2009-08-13 19:50

    Its time to get out the yellow pages - there is got to be diesel repair place in the area that will do a pop test - if not in Naugatuck, try Waterbury, New Haven ,or Bridgeport

  4. #4Phil2009-08-13 20:14

    Unioncity, good point, $600 is a lot of money. Have you considered making your own tester? I believe the VW diesel parts forum had a thread on it. I have a homemade one myself. I've worked on the pencil type injector, pulled them apart, attempted to clean the orifices and lap the valve seat, then reset the unseating pressure to the spec for the engine. The other adjustment is for valve travel I believe. Some manuals go into great detail on injector servicing. I was never very successful at this and was lucky to get 1 in 4 working better. The Roosa Master pump I believe, does get transfer pump wear with time, and I believe this drops pressure to main pump. Not sure where to check this pressure while running, but the relief valve for it is at the rear of the pump. Raising the transfer pump output pressure does increase main pump output, as indicated in my Ford 550 manual. Any work on diesel injection systems is costly. Your best bet is still to locate a fuel injection shop. Phil

  5. #5k.key2009-08-13 21:25

    I think I pay about 70.00 dollars for those injectors reman in indianapolis, it sounds like you may have one popping early when the rpm is up, you might try cracking the lines open with the rpm up to pin point the cylinder. The blue sounds like oil to me, have you worked this machine lately?

  6. #6keitho2009-08-14 00:26

    i'm not a mechanic nor do i play one on tv but blue smoke is crankcase oil and black smoke is too much fuel, white smoke water etc. that is if i read that fortune cookie correctly keith o

  7. #7unioncity12009-08-14 02:48

    I have to agree with you guys on the smoke color but it not very heavy its actually quite thin smoke so its hard to tell its real shade however the smoke REALLY smells like unburned fuel and really doesnt in any way smell like burning oil. Like I said in an earlier post I have about.000000000000001% of deisel engine experience so who knows. I keep getting stuck on the fact that the smoke clears up with a little rpm which just really seems like its finally using the extra fuel. Anyway not to go around round Im gonna see what they get (if I can find a place ) to test/set these injectors. Thanks again for your help guys.

  8. #8oemtracklink2009-08-14 02:58

    I am dealing with undercarriage, here learning from you guys.

  9. #9OneWelder2009-08-14 08:27

    I have not looked up original post- when running the engine is there excessive crankcase pressure? if not - I would short the each cyl as suggested . then check the pump timing.( I have seen some engines timed wrong that will fill yard up with blue smoke) then test injectors. -Then its time to look at pump Keith That is a good rule of thumb - but my past experience will show exceptions to that rule Over the years I have found if you listen to customer /operator they will tell you whats wrong with a machine - or totally confuse the situation

  10. #10OneWelder2009-08-14 08:47

    Phil is very knowledgeable and has helped a # of people - probably need to listen before the advice dries up

  11. #11Tinkerer2009-08-14 10:24

    unioncity1, Are there any truck repair shops or farm equipment dealerships near you ? I would call one and find out if they can test and / or repair your injectors. If they send them out maybe you could find out where. Or perhaps they could send them out for you. It would be money well spent . It sure sounds like a fuel injector or pump problem. At least you would have the injector question eliminated. Plus, hopefully you will have injectors in top notch condition.

  12. #12beebelawn2009-08-14 23:28

    Low pressure or sticky injector will give a white smoke, sometimes it's hard to differentiate from white and blue. Like a guy said before get those injectors tested even if u have to ups them somewhere.

  13. #13Phil2009-08-15 14:25

    Thanks for the compliment OneWelder. I like to think we are all in here to help each other and save a buck. If I'm not sure whether or not an injector is working, sometimes I will take it out and reconnect it to the injector line, bending the line as little as possible just to get it attached. Usually with the pencil type, it's easy and pointing upwards then. I crank the engine and obverse the spray, looking for that nice puff, like a fog, not 4 streams coming out. A cheap way to get an idea what an injector is doing. Of coarse I have my safety glasses on and no exposed skin. Phil