Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

480D Case shuttle trans trouble.

dashingdigger ยท 2014-10-21 23:50

Hi guys- I have a nice 480D that I'm having trouble with. When I got it, shortly after it quit going forward. I read about it and learned that the forward clutch plates needed to be replaced. I took it all apart and laid it out on the the bench and replaced the plates. After reassembly it worked and operated pretty well. A little sluggish from forward to reverse I felt, but once engaged, it never slips. Since then I have been plagued with on and off forward trouble. It will always engage quickly if operating on a downhill grade. It often works well if shifting rapidly from reverse. Its just sometimes you can leave it in forward gear and rev the thing up several times and then it engages forward violently. If its in forward gear, its in. No slipping in any gear ratio. Any ideas? Ive changed the fluid already and its clean as the day I replaced everything.

Replies1
  1. #1alrman2014-10-22 18:44

    Welcome to HEF dashingdigger ! Could be any number of reasons the shuttle is doing what it is doing. Damaged oil control/seal rings during reassembly Worn pump Worn control valve housing Over selection of fwd - due to worn stops at control valve Incorrect assembly of the fwd clutch pack Low oil level - you have checked it with engine idling? Not much you can check without going back inside it........ good luck :drinkup