Hey guys looking at a winter project that is listed as dead at auction. Honestly I think its out of fuel or not getting it. When the auction inspected it, she cranked right up, Ran but spit and sputtered and died without restarting. When I looked at it Friday, the engine had a very even crank and fired with ether. I added the videos of it below if you think this might be a lift pump or just out of fuel? There's about 4 cans of ether in the cab, so I'm anticipating a engine but need to get it running to load it. What do you think? This is motor running at inspection from auction This is when I inspected. Crank, No start without ether
Always anticipate the worst case scenario.
When you are cranking it, always keep an eye on the exhaust pipe. White smoke coming out of the pipe when you are cranking means you have fuel. No smoke, no fuel. In my limited experience, if you have no fuel, the fuel supply lift system/tank is more failure prone than the injection pump. If it has a injection pump that requires 12v, it could be a electrical problem also.
Sounded good turning over. With that much either, expect rings and liners but bet it runs well enough to run it as is.
Disconnect fuel line coming out of fuel filter to see if fuel will pour out with a little air being pushed into fuel tank with a ball rag holding pressure on tank with 1-2 psi pushing. Simon C