Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

4le1 isuzu 4le2 engine swap question

hotrod6914 ยท 2024-08-05 19:11

gonna replace a 4le1 in a hitachi ex58mu with a 4le2 crate engine that was for a generator. does anyone have experience in this? there are a few differences in these engines, the top radiator hose comes out differently as well as the air cleaner hose also the fuel system is a little different , it looks like fuel circles thru the lines and returns to the tank so i'm thinking its gonna need a lot of fuel flow to feed it unelss i cap one end a move return to after injectors. also the throttle is locked in position but will be hooked to a cable now, ill have to adjust max rpms and possibly injection timing, any advice will be appreciated. thanks also this is my first post ever

Replies2
  1. #1Birken Vogt2024-08-05 21:29

    One of these is DI and the other is IDI. I believe you can swap the air adapters around, probably the thermostat housing too. Does it have the electric fuel pump on it? Should be all you need. Who knows how it will perform at RPM other than 1800 but I guess you will find out.

  2. #2jflame632024-11-04 17:46

    Howdy Hotrod, I'm wondering how your swap is going? I was going to do the exact same thing but into a skidsteer. I didn't know if the engine would function at variable speed with the electronic controls given this engine is like yours and was purchased as a fixed rom generator engine. Interested to find out if your is working the way you intended or if the electronics gave you a bunch of problems. My 4LE2 is a Tier 4 Stage 3B