Hi guys..it's my first post here came across this forum when making searches and semmed like a good bunch of people :thumbup: Alright so I just bought a old 1976 ** 50a in good shape, it has a cab on it, and the motor is running pretty good. Hydraulic pump is new and works good. The only problem is the backhoe cylinder ( I think it's called like that) is leaking a bit at the top, so should I just watch it or change the seals and all. Also if you guys own one simmilar hiw did you like it... I'm fairly new to big machinery Thanks in advance
I have a 50H, about 20 years newer. Good machine but scarce here, pieces are expensive & rare. Joe H
Hi Yamaha, glad to hear you have bought a "big toy" to play with,if the cylinder is not leaking too badly I would leave it alone. Keep your eye on the leak, if it gets too bad then change the seals as oil is expensive. Are you using it on your own property? Please post some pictures, Good luck, Ex tractor fan
I also have a 50H. Joe is right about the parts. I have a Massey dealer in my area, but the parts almost always have to get mailed in from somewhere else and they are double what a Case or similar machine costs. I love my Massey though and have no plans of getting rid of it. If you go to http://www.agcopartsbook.com and sign in as a guest you can easily search for any parts you might need in the parts books with diagrams. This helps when you are looking around because you will already have the part numbers handy. With that, google becomes your best friend in finding parts.
Thanks, Buickspec6231 Seems like a really good site Thanks again and see you in the forum
Hey, Extractorfan I got it today so rode it for the first time, and the backhoe cylinder isn't leaking to much so i'll just be keeping an eye out, and yes i'll be using it on my proprety. We're building a house next summer so i'll be using it for getting tree stump out and all other kind of stuff I'll try and post some pictures if I can figure how! Alright Thanks Again
Here's my new toy, since it was my first time I practiced a bit with it (All the levers are a bit tricky at fist but i'll get used to it ) As you can see i'm in Canada so there's quite a bit of snow still left Cheers
Hi Yamaha, thanks for the pictures, hope you have a working heater in the **, it looks very tidy, I hav'nt seen one with a fixed centre backhoe. I don't think you will go far wrong with the ** as they are uncomplicated. (Not like todays computer controlled ones). Good luck with your new home - enjoy! Extractorfan
Fixed center is all we have over here, ** or otherwise. I'm sure there are some new sliding models somewhere in the country, but they are extremely rare. Yamaha, you might want to search here a little to see what to keep an eye on with the swing motor. That's the one thing you don't want to have to mess with.
Hi Delmer, The opposite is true in the UK I would say a fixed centre backhoe is extremely rare, something to do with us having to access tight areas on our small island! Take Care, Ex tractor fan
I would base your decision on weather or not the chrome shaft is damaged on the ram, if it is your going to be doing a big rebuild of it. If only the seals are leaking its an easy fix. The only hard part is winding out the spring steel before you can pull it apart. A couple of mine were quite rusted and took soaking in molasses for about a month before they would undo. I have a 50b its been a great machine they are getting a little uncommon not and parts are expensive, it make you treat the machine a lot nicer Scott
Yeah I have heat in the cab The chrome shaft are not rusted so that's a good news. And I'll take good care of it, I strongly think that in putting money to maintain her good, will in the long run save you alot of money. Hope she can serve me well in the next couple years. Thanks again guys for great advice :thumbup:
i also have an ** 50a. i also am taking care of some cylinder problems; but my problem ones are the loader bkt dump, and one of the stabilizers. i had luck sourcing the bkt cyl eal kits aftermarket, but cannot find a source for the stabilizer seal kit other than ** for $103. oi refuse to pay that. i think i am going to take it apart, and send the seals in so they can be matched. mine is a one owner, 3100 hr machine. poorly maintained and rarly used for the last decade; but after a thorough service runs and operates well. mine cost less than 25% of what a 9ft attachment backhoe would cost for my 45hp kubota...... just today i installed two new 900cca batteries, and took the pedals for the hydro-shuttle trans part and lubed them i second the agco website for the parts books; they have one for the loader, backhoe, and tractor itself; seperatley. i look at them almost daily. i also sourced a paper op manual, parts books, and service manual on ebay...........
Yes I went and look at the agco websites and found it to be real neat. I'll be looking at it regulary too.
It would be a good thing to reseal it to prevent water from eventually getting into the oil. It will only get worse anyway. Any hydraulic repair shop can get those seals you need. Companies like Hercules and others will have them.
i keep seeing hercules as a recommended source for seals, but they have been unable to help me with anything i have needed so far. i give them ** part numbers, and they cant cross them; and dont seem to really want to deal with someone only buying a couple seal kits.
i see i cant edit a previous reply; so i sourced my loader bkt dump seal kits from baum hydraulics; they were 1/5 the cost of the ** dealer. however, the backup washers that surround the oring in the bearing were wrong and would not work. unfortunatly, they cannot cross the stab seal kit i need, but told me i could take it apart and send them in.........fyi
Hi, I just bought a ** 50A loader/backhoe and I am looking for the operator's manual. For the owners of a ** 50A on this forum, any of you have a scan copy of the operator's manual by chance. It would help me alot. Thank you very much.