Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 2000, 1975 weak PTO

fishfighter ยท 2014-02-27 04:16

Anybody know anything about a Ford 2000 tractor? I have one that the PTO is weak. I had checked the oil level and the sump oil filter which is very clean. So, were would one start to look at to cure this problem? I really need to get this fixed due to grass cutting time is coming fast.

Replies4
  1. #1mitch5042014-02-27 19:21

    The PTO is unaffected by oil levels and etc. since it is a totally mechanical system. the 2000 and 3000 were offered with 2 different drive systems, a single plate clutch and a two plate clutch. The difference is, with the single plate clutch, if you mash the clutch and disengage the wheels, you disengage the PTO. With the 2 plate, if you mash it halfway, it disengages drive to the wheels, but not the PTO. With either system, the only thing that can make a weak PTO is the clutch is slipping. The only adjustment is the freeplay. The clutch pedal should mash 1.25-1.5 inches freely before you feel it do anything. Too much freeplay won't make the clutch slip, but having none will. In short, if you have some freeplay, split the tractor:crying It will be a weak pressure plate or a worn out clutch disc, but for either one, replace everything including pilot and release bearings.

  2. #2fishfighter2014-02-28 04:52

    Yes, it does have a live PTO. I do have a shop manual. I will try to adjust it first. Was hoping that I didn't have to split the tractor. I never done that before. Anything I should do and to look out for if I have to split? Oh, there feels like there is little to no free play. The PTO doesn't disengage till the peddle is about 2" left to the floor board.

  3. #3wyomingjet2014-02-28 09:17

    Splitting it apart isn't too bad, make certain you have enough blocking handy n jacks to support both halves. Your manual should explain most procedures. Most times having help going back together is well received. As you don't want the front half to roll away ect... Yet make sure your clutch adjustment is correct as it can n cause issues many times. Don't overlook that adjustment, as many times it's just that issue alone. Sure there's many here who can give much better advisement, as there's some darn good hands on this site from what I observe. I would only split after all other related checks are made correctly. Going together, you'll need to make up some extra long guide bolts cut off heads n make split for screwdriver to turn in or out n help your alignment n halves come together. N getting your clutch forks in proper position to bearing ect,,, n concerns using housing bolts to aid instalation is helpful, yet never force it together just running bolts in with air gun. Alternate tighting whike watching proper gap between both halves ect. But all that may be unnecessary if it's just your clutch adjustment. So please don't overlook that concern. Just my dumb advise n might be just that too.lol

  4. #4fishfighter2014-02-28 13:24

    Thanks for the info. I have installed a few engines to mate up with BW trannies in boats and cars. Just never on a tractor. I do have good blocks and jacks. The wife will not be happy if I have to do it due to the fact that I will use the carport. LOL