Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

50d vs e35i

Blstr88 · 2023-10-09 20:50

I had previously posted about a 304 but turned out it was a gray market machine in not as good of shape as the seller made it out to be…so I moved on. Found a 2006 50D and a 2017 Bobcat e35i available that are both excellent candidates. Both are open ROPS with about 2000 hrs. Rubber tracks and thumbs. This will be for my personal property only, no business use. Moving stones and clearing brushy land mostly. My question is, will a 50d be noticeably stronger/more capable than the 35i? From what I can gather the Deere is about 10,500 lbs with 40 hp. The Bobcat is about 7800 lbs with about 32 hp? I’ve found different ratings on horsepower so not completely sure. The biggest reason I’m considering the Bobcat is because it’s 11 years newer than the Deere. While I have no intentions of reselling the machine I like knowing I can if I wasn’t using it or needed the money…a much newer machine I assume will sell quicker. On the flip side, a 2006 Deere 50d must be completely pre-emissions? That’s a pretty solid perk in my opinion.

Replies6
  1. #1MG842023-10-09 22:29

    Unless you need the smaller machine for a specific reason (ease of transport, work in confined spaces etc) get the larger machine. It will have a good bit more reach and lifting capacity, both will be welcome for your uses. With that being said, do compare the specs. Sometimes the larger machines are not always better across the board. Some models have considerably more bucket and arm breakout force than others which you absolutely will notice when trying to dig out stumps.

  2. #2BC Placer gold2023-10-10 00:54

    We run a 2011 Deere 50d. It is pre emissions. The Yanmar engine has been very reliable as has the rest of the machine. This unit currently has 7400h. Over the years we have owned several other mini’s including: cat 304, cat 303.5, Kubota kx-040. The difference between a 3.5t class versus a 5t class machine is significant! For it size the Kubota kx040 was very powerful! However, as we work in steep mountainous terrain I do prefer the 6’7” width of the deere 50d versus 5’7” for the Kubota. My experience with bobcat has been limited; however in 2016 we rented a brand new e45 for a week I found the hydraulics very jerky; maybe just got a bad one??? Regardless make sure and hop on and give each machine a test run!

  3. #3Toddgarage2023-10-11 14:10

    We have a Deere50D too, with about 6,000 hours. Has been a strong machine, low maintenance cost and no emissions. I really like pilot controls too (a lot less electronics). Even accessing the the under cab area is fairly easy. You won’t regret having a bigger machine either.

  4. #4Blstr882023-10-14 08:58

    Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and purchased the 50D. It’ll be transported to my property next week, Wed or Thursday. Anyone know where I can find info on fluids, filters, maintenance etc? Or maybe just a service manual I can purchase? I’d like to go through and replace the filters, oil, and just go through it when it shows up.

  5. #5Toddgarage2023-10-14 10:45

    John Deere Parts | Parts & Services | John Deere US Search and buy parts for your John Deere equipment including ag parts, lawn mower parts, maintenance parts, and more. Search our parts catalog, view operator’s manuals, or find your equipment’s quick reference guide. www.deere.com All of our compact Deere equipment requires a zinc free hydraulic oil. Make sure you are adding the correct oil for your machine. You can also sample your oil and send it to a lab for analysis. Things I would focus on because they are often overlooked. -drive motor oil change and take the covers off behind the drive motors and clean out the mud. (The corrosion that happens behind there can be nasty). -inspect the drive cog, front idler and undercharge. -pilot filter (your machine may have one) -get an o-ring kit for hydraulic line face seals -make sure the radiator is clean, fan belt tight. -spare key -call your local authority before digging. Be safe, Todd

  6. #6CM19952023-10-14 10:51

    Yes the 50 will be noticeably more stronger and productive. If the JD has a Yanmar in it I would not be worried about the engine. What's the condition of the both machines and ownership history?