Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

544b wheel loader transmission problem

erdrj ยท 2014-10-14 21:08

Hello, I've got an older 544b and am having some of the same problems I've been reading about in this forum. I can load 2 or 3 loads with it and it works perfectly, then when it gets warmed up it starts to slow down allot and the steering gets alittle goofy. Some one suggested the pump was bad, but which one do you figure it is, the charge pump in the trans or the pump on the back of the machine? If someone could help me with this with an opinion that would be great.

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2014-10-14 22:30

    First off have you checked and cleaned the suction strainer in the bottom of the case? They tend to plug up which starves the charge pump which feeds the steer pump, or at least I think that's how it works.

  2. #2Mapleleaftrucks2014-10-15 08:10

    You can not get the strainer out of the bottom of the trans unless you pull the trans out of the machine which takes about 12 hours. 544B's had a charge pump gauge on the dash most where the centre gauge on the left side, If that is still working you should be able to see your charge pressure, there is also a filter for the trans just in front of the trans where machine articulates, you will see 2 filters, the 1 next to the frame is for the steering and the 1 in the middle is for the trans.

  3. #3crewchief8882014-10-16 19:12

    had a co-workera few years ago, that could have those tranny's sitting on the floor in a couple hours.... it wasnt pretty, we called him "lakefront" fred. to the OP, this could also be the sprag clutch slipping. :drinkup

  4. #4erdrj2014-10-18 18:57

    Thanks for the input. Yes I have checked the suction strainer, my loader has a hole cut in the frame where someone made a hole. The hole seems to be alright, I've been watchin it for cracks. I assume the sprag clutch is inside but just out of curiosity what makes you think it's that? I hooked up a pressure gauge where the book says to check the main pressure and once it's warmed up runs at 200 psi, even after the machine movement slows down. I'm still puzzled, love to have more input Thanks.

  5. #5crewchief8882014-10-19 09:07

    during my time at a JD dealer, i worked in the rebuild room. most of the allison trannys were doing the same thing as you describe. during teardown sometimes the sprag clutch & rollers was just worn, sometimes the cage was broken. :drinkup