Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Clark 175B 8V-71 1975 Wheel Loader.

Prospectorgav ยท 2014-10-13 17:01

Good day, new to the forum. I have recently purchased a Clark 175B loader with the old common seized brakes. I am about to start work to repair them and thought I would go through the air system first before I pull the wheels off to fix the seized calipers. The quick release valves are supplied by Bendix and I am assuming the foot brake air valves are possibly the same. These are alloy components and rather than trying to run a seal kit through them guessing they are possibly pitted, it might be easier to replace them as they are very old. I have the parts manual but do not know the cross reference numbers for Bendix. Can anyone help that may have had the same issues. Prospectorgav

Replies22
  1. #1MJS Services2014-10-31 01:42

    If you have a good truck parts place near by just take them there, I did for my case W24C and they didnt even need a manual knew what it was by looking at it

  2. #2Prospectorgav2014-10-31 05:40

    Clark 175B 8V-71 Articulated Wheel Loader Air System Hi forum, I am currently rebuilding the air system for the brakes on my loader. I am currently working on the wet tank and wish to dismantle the pressure relief valve on the side of the wet tank and clean it. What sort of pressure would one reset the pressure relief to once reassembled or should I not touch it and just clean the outside.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2014-10-31 05:49

    Please keep all questions regarding this loader in the same thread. Thanks!

  4. #4kshansen2014-10-31 06:20

    Here's a link that might help: http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/BW1114QuickReferenceCatalog.pdf Safety vlaves for most systems would be around 150 psi for a normal 120 psi regulated system.

  5. #5Prospectorgav2014-11-05 15:47

    Hi forum,I am chasing two new or rebuild brake master cylinders for my Clark 175B wheel loader. They are stamped Wagner Lockheed FE1099. The bores on the old ones are badly corroded and the pistons are seized into them. There are some advertised on the web but they have additional numbers after the FE1099 such as -01 or -438 and I do not know what these additional numbers mean. They all look the same with the mounting holes and 1 3/4 inch bores.

  6. #6Ryan1512014-11-08 21:36

    I got mine for my clark 55b from summit racing they are doorman brand new master cylinders I'll get you the part number

  7. #7Ryan1512014-11-08 21:39

    http://m.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-m2842 This should be them I am not 100 percent sure though never worked on a 175

  8. #8Prospectorgav2014-11-09 04:22

    Cheers for that Ryan151 I will email them. I posted a thread also on General Industry regarding these and got two replies. I have sent of emails to the two companies but have no reply as yet. There is not much gear available for this loader in Australia. I have a large order of parts from Minnpar in transit at the moment for the loader. They have the brake master cylinders in stock but were a bit dearer than other places most probably coz genuine so I did not get them. I paid $4500 for the loader as a runner for prospecting for gold. It was destined for the scrap heap but the last owner was a diesel fitter and grabbed it and rebuild the 8V-71 engine to get it going again. It has no brakes and a friend said you cannot run around with such a large machine with no brakes and so the saga unfolds. I have removed the entire air system to repair it and found the air compressor has been bypassing oil. I have cleaned everything and fitted new treadle valves and emergency relay valves. The brake master cylinders are the final chapter before I remove the wheels and sort the seized brake calipers. Did you have same scenario?

  9. #9Ryan1512014-11-09 07:26

    Yes my clark 55b had a bad engine as well 453 detroit I have rebuilt it and converted it to a turbo model so 453t added larger oil cooler housing proper pistons ect. My brakes also do not work I have one of those master cylinders from summit if you want me to.measure it. I am converting my loader to hydroboost brakes with the use of a power steering pump that mounts on the back of my engine really a slick setup hehe. So I have a brand new master cylinders I could sell for cheap I won't be using it I'll get some measurements for you. Did Minnpar have the caliper parts and brake pads?

  10. #10Ryan1512014-11-09 07:29
  11. #11Ryan1512014-11-09 07:33
  12. #12Prospectorgav2014-11-09 16:52

    View attachment 126646 I had a look at the master cylinder link you posted at Summit and the master cylinder looks different to the FE1099 ones I have.

  13. #13kshansen2014-11-09 18:10

    Wish I could help you, would hate to think about how many I possibly tossed out over the years. Last one was probably 20 years ago.

  14. #14Ryan1512014-11-13 10:18

    hows progress going on this?

  15. #15Ryan1512014-11-13 10:24

    http://www.powerbrake-drivetrain.com/servlet/the-932/WAGNER-POWER-CLUSTER/Detail found these its very spendy... have you considered making your own power packs with new modern master cylinders and some semi truck brake pods? ive done that before and it works.... or a hydro boost setup works well too.

  16. #16Ryan1512014-11-13 10:29

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAGNER-AIR-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27de34e2c0&vxp=mtr I think this is your setup! good price too and 4 available might call them and ask to see for sure but it sure does look right!

  17. #17Karl Robbers2014-11-14 03:31

    Why not get the master and wheel cylinders sleeved? Very common and once sleeved, they never wear out or corrode due to the stainless sleeve. Usually much cheaper than new cylinders for older gear like yours.

  18. #18Ryan1512014-11-14 07:47

    Thanks for the idea my clark 55b has all 4 brake calipers seized I will do this.

  19. #19Ryan1512014-11-14 07:52

    Does your machinist make the sleevery or do you get them from somewhere because it would have to be a really smooth sleeve

  20. #20Karl Robbers2014-11-21 05:09

    There are a few companies that specialise in resleeving brake components here. I guess a Google search would be a good starting point.

  21. #21mourafetis2014-11-25 08:20

    Hello!! The master cylinder you are using is far bigger than the common ones I have seen, because it has to feed 4 calipers. It will not be easy to find an equivalent (I havent managed to find anything so far and I am looking for them many years, if you do, please let me know!!) but the easiest and cheapest way we suggest is to use 2 smaller cylinders + air chambers instead of one and split the hydraulic system for the calipers into 2 sections, so that each cylinder charges only 2 calipers. Your machine is big, and it has room to fit 2 cylinders for front and 2 for rear, so space is not a problem. Let me know your thoughts. Have a great day!!

  22. #22mourafetis2014-11-25 08:22

    Also, if your calipers are old, you may encounter problems to reseal them if the bore is worn. Tell me the serial number of your machine to check which calipers you use and provide you with more info on rebuilding them.